20

"Girl you are crazy it's pouring down" luke laughed as we pulled up at the river court

"Come on live a little, it's only a little bit of water" I laughed climbing out the car with my ball.

"If I get sick from this Ruzek you are dead" Nate whispered in my ear stealing the ball off me.

"If you get sick that means I've got sick as well so" I giggled trying to get the ball out of his hands.

It's had been six months since I had been in New York and I was honestly happier, I had heard nothing from Dylan which I was glad about as it meant I could move on from him. My heart felt lighter, I had real friends for once in my life and I would be heading back to Chicago for Christmas in the next couple of days.

Well that was until I saw a figure stood watching me and Nate in the rain.

"Don't make it obvious but someone is staring at us" I mumbled as I stole the ball off Nate.

"It's ok I won't let them hurt you" Nate smiled as the person go closure to us.

As I wiped my glasses so I could see better, I took I the figure and mannerisms of the person. After a couple of minutes it clicked who it was.

Dylan.

"Nate it's my ex" I gulped. "He hasn't contacted me in six months and now he has found me. None of my family told him where about me in New York I was."

I was panicking now, letting the ball fall out of my hands, I watched it roll of the river court. He hadn't tried to speak to me since I told him to fuck off on the phone and no one back home had seen him since dad roughed him up.

"Can I help you mate" Nate asked draping him arm on my shoulder.

"Just want to speak to Camille" he said smirking.

"Maybe she doesn't want to speak to you" Nate said pulling me tighter like Dylan has just escaped from prison.

"Why won't you let her speak for herself?" Dylan asked.

"Because" Nate started to say.

"I've got this Nate" I half smiled placing a hand on his chest.

"You sure ruzek?" He asked.

"Yeah" I nodded moving out of his grip before walking over to the bench sitting on the top.

"What do you want Dylan?" I asked checking my nails. Man I really needed to get my infills done.

"I want you back Camille, I made a mistake" he sighed.

"Dylan it's been 6 months now, I've not messaged you at all and no one told you where I was. I don't think we will work" I said.

"You posted your college on Instagram which lead me here. But I didn't expect to find you getting cosy with another guy" he said staring at me.

"Oh so you expected that I'd be here moping about and pining over you?" I asked he could tell I was getting annoyed.

"Look I came here to say something" he sighed.

"Well say it then I don't have all day" I half laughed.

"My heart says just forget about your pride you idiot. You love this girl. And even if you are gonna catch pneumonia, your ass is gonna stand here in the rain, until you convince her to forgive you" he said taking a step closer.

"Look Dylan, I just don't see us together you tried to control me and it's like you didn't trust me" I sighed running my hand through my wet hair.

"So what you saying?" He mumbled.

"I'm saying even though we won't get back together we can still be friends ok" I smiled at him.

"Can I give you a hug please?" He asked.

"Why not" I shrugged jump off the bench as he pulled me into a hug. "See you around Dylan"

After about 5 minutes Nate came over about a towel around me.

"Come on Ruzek you are frozen let's get back to mine so we can warm up" he smiled putting his arm around me as we walked to the car.

———

After showering and changing into the clothes Nate laid out for me I smiled. In the last 6 months we had become close and he was my best friend, however the girls are still teasing me about us getting together.

Walking out of nates room I felt everyone's eyes on me.

"You look adorable in that ravens jersey" luke grinned.

I was just about to answer when my phone rung.

"Yo bro" I laughed.

"Sis you need to get on the next flight home" Alvin breathed.

"Wait why, what's happened?" I asked clutching the phone.

"It's pops he had a heart attack this morning and it doesn't look good" he mumbled.

"Shit I'm on the first flight out" I said "tell everyone I love them"

My heart sunk as I ended the call. We could t lose pops we just couldn't. I needed to get home for mum.

"I need a laptop or something. I need to go home" I said with tears falling fast.

"What's happened hun" peyton asked passing me Luke's laptop.

"My grandpa had a heart attack this morning and apparently it doesn't look good" I sniffed as I was looking for flights.

"Ruzek book two seats" Nate said squeezing my shoulder.

"Why" I mumbled.

"Because I'm not letting you fly across country on your own in this state" he whispered rubbing my shoulder.

"Ok we leave in two hours" I whispered.

I just hope I wasn't too late.