25

"I can't believe you have a beach right on your doorstep" I smiled as we walked across the sand

"I can't believe you have a beach right on your doorstep" I smiled as we walked across the sand. "I'm kinda jealous"

"Water baby I'm guessing" he laughed.

"Yeah I am" I laughed playing with my chain.

"What's this" Nate asked as we stopped walking so he could take a closer look at my chain.

Looking down smiling at my dog tag.

"The 10 blue lines are for my family" I smiled turning it over to reveal numbers. "These are the last 3 numbers of all of their badges"

"And why is there just one on its own?" He asked.

"That's for my uncle al, he died before I was born." I said "I was born on his birthday"

"That's really sweet" he smiled pulling me into his side putting his arm around my shoulder as well continued walking.

"Yeah my uncle Kev got it made for me for Christmas. So even when I'm away or they are undercover I always have them with me" I smiled. "Not many people know this but I'm petrified with basically my whole family being in the force."

"Why's that" he asked.

"Because when ever I get a call and I know they are on a case, I always think something has happened" I mumbled. "Sorry I'm being a downer it's just my first New Years away from my family"

"Honestly I'm kind surprised you came" he whispered.

"I was so torn but the decision was made for me" I laughed. "So how does this thing tonight work then?"

"Well it's the only night of the year where Karen serves alcohol" he laughed. "And then before midnight we head to the court"

———

Walking into the cafe and I instantly felt over dressed.

"Girl stop overthinking things you look fire" peyton grinned.

"Could have picked a longer dress" I moaned tugging at the dress.

"I'm gonna tie them hands together in a minute" she laughed.

"Oh kinky" I winked as we walked over to the boys.

"Jheeze she plays ball, is a petrol head, soon to be fashion designer and she has the body" skills said pulling me into a hug. "What else you gonna surprise us with girl"

"Trust me I prefer to be in my gym gear and not freaking heels" I laughed "There's no way I can play ball after in heels and a dress that barely covers my ass" I moaned.

"That's why I may have stashed a pair of your shorts and trainers down at the river court" Nate grinned as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

"You are the best" I grinned kissing his cheek.

Leaning in the bar with my coke I smiled watching everyone getting more drunk.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw two people I never thought I'd see here.

"Yo Ruzek you look like you've seen a ghost" luke said leaning against the bar.

"I think I have" I sighed as I saw the two people get up and start walking over to me, but I turned my attention to the boy on stage. I did not need thinks kicking off.

"Some things just go better together, and probably always will. Like a cup of coffee and a sunrise, Sunday drives and time to kill. What's the point of this old guitar, if it ain't got no strings. Or pouring your heart into a song, that you ain't gonna sing? It's a match made up in heaven, like good ole boys and beer. And me, as long as you're right here" Nate sung out of tune looking directly in my eyes making me smile.

"Drink up" peyton smirked passing me a drink as Nate jumped off the little stage before standing next to me putting his arm around me again.

"Nah thanks, I don't drink to get drunk anymore" I said loud enough the my two ghosts could hear.

"Did something happen?" Nate asked concerned.

"Yeah it did and I'd rather not talk about it" I mumbled. "Bad memories"

"Thought I recognised that voice" Xavier smiled at me. "Dyl it is her"

"What do you want" I spat.

"I'm sorry" Xavier said "I should have been more of a best friend that night. Let's just say you dad can throw a punch"

"I second that" Dylan said.

"Look I don't know how you managed to find me but can you go please" I sighed.

"Our parents live here Camille, I didn't know you would be here" Xavier said.

"Camille can I have a word please" Dylan asked and I felt nate's hold tighten just a little bit pulling me closer to him.

"Hey it's ok, I will be back in a minute" I smiled lifting his arm off my shoulder before following Dylan outside.

"So what did you want to speak about?" I asked sparking up my smoke.

"I just want to say it's nice to see you smiling again, you look happy" Dylan smiled.

"I am happy" I nodded not really knowing where this conversation was going.

"I wish I could go back and change how things happened the day you told me about New York" he sighed.

"Trust me you cannot change the past Dylan I've tried" I half laughed.

"Every time I see you or you post something online I ask myself the same question" he sighed "how do you look at the girl you love and tell yourself it's time to walk away"

"Honestly Dylan I wish I could answer that for you but I can't" I said watching the smoke from my cigarette.

"I see the way you look at him you know, that Nate lad, I see how you smile grows a little bit wider and your eyes shine a little bit brighter when you are around him. And I know even if you aren't afraid to admit it to yourself you are falling for him" he said putting his hand on my shoulder.

"How do you know that?" I asked.

"I know, because you used to look at me that way" he sighed "look I'm sorry for being a dick about everything and just know I want you to be happy so if Nate makes you happy then go for it but remember this Camille you will always mean something to me and I hope later down the line we can still be friends"