Debbie Harry #1

For euphorbiadreams

I coughed as I arranged the dusty books in the correct order. Someone ordered a book that no customer has ordered or requested in years. We usually just keep all the unpopular books in the dusty corner, and avoid the area. Unfortunately, I got stuck with the job of book searching today. I eventually found the book and shook off the dust. I went over to the cashier register and put the book down on the counter and wiped the sweat off my forehead. Working at bookstore is pretty stressful when you have to help customers find a certain book they want. 

The bookstore was pretty empty today. Only a few people actually came but they were no where to be seen.

"Your total will be $11.24," I said as the customer handed me some cash.

A couple of the longest minutes of my life passed by until the store bells rang. I looked up to see who the customer was and almost fainted at the cashier regristry. 

The customer was none other than Debbie Harry. The Debbie Harry. There wasn't anyone in line who needed to check out at that moment. It gave me the opportunity to leave the cash registry and speak to the legendary woman who had stepped food into this dull bookstore.

"Hello, how can I help you today?" I said in my best customer service voice. 

"I'm just looking for some rare books. Any idea where they're at?"

"Of course. Follow me," I said as I made my way to the dusty section of the store.

"These books are full of dust and they're pretty old, but I think you can find a lot hidden gems in here. Many options to choose from," I said and smiled. 

"Thank you so much!" she smiled back and began to pick up a couple books. 

I was supposed to go back to the cash registry, but something inside me told me "no." This was one of the rare opportunities where I get to meet and talk to my idols. I wanted to make a move on her or ask her out, but I was afraid that she would reject me and consider me as a "creep." I went back to cash register and waited until she was ready to checkout. 

As I wandered deep into my thoughts and daydreams, she came up to me and says, "I'm done." She set her books on the counter and I immediately snapped out of my daydreams. I checked out her items and placed them inside a bag. "Will that be cash or card?" I asked.

"Card," she said as she pulled out a card and swiped it. I couldn't help but stare at her as she did that. She was only a moment away from leaving and I had to do something quick. This was my only opportunity and I couldn't blow it. 

As she put her card back in her purse and began heading for the door, I stepped in front of her and grabbed her hand. My heart was beating quickly, but I went for a kiss. I felt her kiss me back and feelings of joy spread throughout my entire body.

I pulled away and blushed. "I'm sorry, but I felt like I had to do that."

"No, don't apologize. I enjoyed that kiss," she said reassuringly.

"Will you becoming back sometime soon?"

"Absolutely. This place is great, I plan on coming her more often."

She headed for the door and waved before leaving. I waved back and watched her as she left. Once she was out of sight, I leaned on the counter and smiled to myself.