Surprise

Alex hated lying the most in the world. For the simple reason - his whole life was one big lie. He was grateful that Tum answered his question honestly. But the answer hurt him. Much deeper than Alex thought it would be possible.
As he drove to his apartment, in his head was chaos. Tum was different, Alex knew it well. He did not want to cowardly escape from the Tum's house, but he did not  want to say something that  would regret later.
As soon as he entered the apartment, Alex took a shower. He remembered his childhood and his youth again. He hated this feeling.
At the age of 12 Alex suffered an accident. They never told him what the accident was about. But after that Alex and his mother moved to England. Supposedly there were well-known specialists who could help him.
Mom told Alex  that she and father loved him a lot and that they doing everything to help him recover, and to protect  from people who wanted to hurt his father. Their family had already suffered a loss when Alex's older half brother was killed, and now they are doing their best to protect the only remaining male heir.

For years, Alex believed in that lie. Alex did not remember his father's or his brother's face.  When he asked mother for pictures, she showed him two photos of a man. Alex later framed one and kept it on his desk. When, after some time, father did not come to visit them and did not even call Alex, he began to suspect that something was wrong. Mother justified the absence of Alex's father as if he did not want to reveal their whereabouts to his enemies. And since they had a nice life in England and  Alex went to expensive schools, he decided again to believe that  father doing all this for him.

When he was 17,  mother got sick, she thought she was going to die, so she decided to tell Alex the truth.
For the whole world, the official version was that some girl lured his half-brother to a meeting and Alex secretly followed him. They were attacked by some people. Max died and Alex survived, so it was decided to send Alex abroad so that he would not experience the fate of his half-brother.
But it was also a lie.
When his mother told him the real truth, Alex was sad for days. He realized that in his entire life, no one had ever loved him.
His parents were never married, Alex's father already had a family.
The wife and son he adored. Alex's mother was just one of the nightclub workers. She became pregnant and came up with a plan to keep her baby and provide a better life for herself. But her plan failed. Alex's father didn't even want to hear about her and Alex. He threatened to kill them if they ever showed up at his doorstep.
When Alex was 3 years old, some people came and took him away. He got a new name. Alexander.
Mother was not allowed to visit him. They told her to forget she had a baby.
In the household of his father, Alex was a stinking bastard. He slept with servants. His father did not visit him or invite him to the main house.
And that's where the story gets a little weird because supposedly Alex adored his older brother, who was 9 at the time. Alex followed him everywhere. And supposedly his brother loved him. But as Alex remembered nothing and his mother did not live with him, that part of the story was untested.
As time went on, Alex grew. When he was 12, that accident happened. Here is  another untested part of the story. But what Alex's mother remembered well was the reaction of Alex's father. He cursed Alex, wondering why he didn't die and not Max.
He said, "My son died. I hope that bastard will die too."

He never visited Alex, never asked about him. Alex's mother didn't know why, but one day a lawyer appeared, with documents for her and Alex to travel to England . There was also a piece of paper saying that Alex would get money for schooling and a decent life.
But what she said to Alex at the time was cutting into Alex brain:

- "Never ask for this man. Even if you are starving, don't ask him for help. Get away from him. He's evil."

Fortunately,  mother recovered from illness, but for Alex she was a stranger now.