c h a p t e r. 9

"Cruel mothers are still mothers. they make us wars. they make us revolution. they teach us the truth. early. mothers are humans. who sometimes give birth to their pain. instead of their children."
—Hate, by H.M.

chapter 9

Twenty minutes after her initial severe stuttering, Clementine pulled away from Bar and wiped at her still glassy eyes.

Bar locked eyes against her darker-than-usual, minty ones with a frown marring his usually smirking lips.

He didn't like being in the dark.

And he didn't like that the little goddess still looked like she was about to cry.

"C-can—" She took a deep breath. Bar remained patient. "Can y-y-you, y-you call m-my— call my brot-brother, p-please?"

The stutter was still worse. Bar didn't miss that fact.

He didn't miss that, despite being upset, Clementine was still polite.

"Of course, sweetheart." Bar didn't release her small body from his gentle hold as he leaned over and pulled Clementine's phone out of her bag. "Password?"

The little goddess put it in and Bar watched as she went to her favorites in her contacts and 'Obby il manichino' was the first one.

Bar knew Obby was Obsidian, her twin, and that il manichino was Italian— as he was fluent in that language and Spanish— and meant 'the dummy'.

Obby the dummy.

What a nice name to call her brother.

The little goddess clicked on the call button and handed the phone to Bar, he took it without complaint and raised it to his ear as he watched Clementine.

"Is Obsidian in a class that he'll answer his phone in?" Bar asked, shifting to a more comfortable position when Clementine nodded and tucked her head back under his chin.

"You okay, Emy?" Obsidian asks, concern for his sister sprouting from a simple phone call. Bar wished he had a family that cared about each other like that. "You don't usually call when I'm at lunch."

He's at lunch... Bar thought. So, he'll be able to help. That's good. He's not a dumb fuck like me and will know what to do.

"It's not Clementine. I'm her friend and extremely fucking worried. She can't really speak at the moment." Bar said, straight to the point. "I don't know what triggered it, but her stuttering got worse."

Bar usually wouldn't be so upset but the little goddess had started to cry and to him, that is an extremely plaguing sight to see.

"Shit, okay, where are you guys? I'll be there as soon as possible." Obsidian said. Bar then noticed the loud sounds of people talking and laughing in the background, the cafeteria was always noisy.

He hated excess noise.

Hated it.

It reminded him of drunken yelling matches and loud swear words and the TV screaming at him as his father beats bruises into his ribs.