c h a p t e r. 10

"Jealousy, that dragon which slays love under the pretence of keeping it alive."
—Havelock Ellis

chapter 10

The drive to her house was silent.

Bar either stared down at the little goddess or out the window to pass the time until they pulled into a long driveway surrounded by trees on either side.

They stopped in front of a thick, black gate and a little stone structure with a rose bush against the side. Bar watched in a confused fascination as Obsidian rolled down his window, reached out, and pressed on a button.

A buzzer cut in and a soft voice went through the speaker, "Astoria residence, how may I help you?"

"Hey, Patrica, it's Obby." He said, leaning against the wheel. "Emy had another stuttering fit and we left school early with one of her friends."

"Oh, dear." The voice said, full of worry. "I'll notify the rest of the young masters."

"Thank you, Mrs. Patty," Obsidian said. "Buzz me in, please."

The woman welcomed the older twin and then the buzzer cut off and the gates were opened.

When they went down the rest of the driveway, Bar's eyes widened.

When Clementine said she was loaded he didn't think she actually meant so fucking goddamn rich to have a mansion.

Not even a mansion, it looked like a fucking palace.

It looked to be at least seven stories tall and had four towers in each corner with vines crawling up the black bricks, the windows had a gold trimming and the roof was an a ebony-colored wood. The property had fields with flowers and trees and different berry bushes as far as the eye could see and it had to be at least twenty acres.

It was beautiful and honestly? Bar was a little impressed.

"So," Bar began. "You're really fucking rich."

So subtle.

"Yep," Obsidian agreed. "Dad's a hotshot neurosurgeon and the CEO of his own company and my mom's a famous model who now owns the top law firm in the US. So rich doesn't cover it."

"Damn." Bar would've whistled if he wasn't afraid it would wake up Clementine. "Do you like living here?"

"Of course," Obsidian says. "Emy and I share the sixth floor with PJ and Rue— who are Pearl and Ruby, the siblings only a year older than us— but we all have our own giant wing. It's freedom, I can basically do whatever I want whenever I want to, and also have all of my family in one place. I don't have to cook or clean or anything. Who wouldn't love that?"

"My sister would hate it." Bar snorted. "Everything is her room has to be just how she fucking wants it, if I try to help she jabs me in the stomach with whatever she has in her hands. And God, I don't even want to see what would happen if someone but her tried to make her cereal. She'd throw a fit."

Bar ends up chuckling, just imagining the scenario. His little sister always had to make sure there was an even amount of cereal pieces and exactly half the amount of milk in comparison to cereal— often costing her mother a good ten minutes in the morning.

"You're a big brother?" Obsidian sounded so surprised. Bar didn't blame him.

Who hurts someone else's sister the way Bar had when his own sister had been tormented her whole life almost the same way?

"Yeah," Bar simply said, unbuckling himself and a still sleeping goddess. "Her name's Gwen, she's eleven, and a pain in my ass. Annoys the shit out of me but I love her anyway."