c h a p t e r. 36

"'You love me. Real or not real?' I tell him, 'Real.'"
― Suzanne Collins

chapter 36

Once Bar was in his father's living room with a glaring Talmai not even five feet away from him, he realized that this probably will end very, very badly.

But he didn't care.

For most of his life, things have been ending badly for the brute, one more night isn't going to kill him.

His father looked at Bar over his beer, dark eyes locked onto his son who stood tense and with his heart racing in his chest, "What did you need to talk to me about, Bart?"

"You lied to me," Bar spit out, a pool of rage now sinking into his veins while looking into his father's face. "For eighteen goddamn years you lied to me."

For eighteen years he was belittled.

For eighteen years he was abused.

For eighteen years he thought his mother was dead.

Because of him.

"Watch your tone, boy," Talmai warned, fists clenching as he stood up.

"Fuck you," Bar growled back. "I'm sick of being so scared of you, I'm sick of you doing whatever you want and getting away with it. I'm so fucking sick of you!"

"Last time I'll tell you to watch what you say before I start making you." Talmai got right into Bar's face but the brute didn't back down.

This was his father. This was his abuser. This is who made his life hell. This is who turned Bar into a monster so he wasn't the only deplorable creature around.

Talmai should be very, very afraid of the monster he created.

"So what?" Bar challenged. "Is this the last time you're going to tell me that my mom died too even when that's a fucking lie? Even though she left because you're a deadbeat asshole who can't get his shit together--"

The brute had no time to prepare before Talmai tackled him, the beer glass shattered onto the floor and cut into Bar's skin.

They landed together, hands shoving and feet kicking as one monster tried to overpower the other.

Talmai's hand eventually pushed Bar's face right into the ground, slamming his elbow into his son's cheekbone before crouching over his and screamed, "You have no idea what you're talking about, you worthless bastard."

"I know enough," Bar tried to push his father away but Talmai started to kick him and he couldn't breathe, lungs screaming in agony as his large body jolted.

"Stupid boy," Talmai rammed the heel of his foot into Bar's ribs.

"I'm," Bar gasped from the pain rocketing through him but caught his father's leg when he went to deliver the next blow. "Not." He pulled his father onto the ground in a strong tug, switching their positions and sending a powerful punch to Talmai's face. "Fucking stupid."

Bar and Talmai were a fighting mass of busted knuckles, bloody cheeks, cuts, and forming bruises.

Bar released his betrayals onto his father's skin and Talmai used the brute as a punching bag, each blow backed up by anger.

It felt like hours of them going at one another like wolves fighting in the wild before Talmai managed to get Bar into a lock.

The brute panted, large body struggling to get momentum to get out of the hold but couldn't.