c h a p t e r. 8

"I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough."
—Nicholas Spark

chapter 8

Bar and his friends were slowly getting accommodated to sitting with such lively and carefree people like Fen, Eli, and Clementine seemed to be.

Bar, Law, and Gus had a hard life.

But the little goddess group?

They didn't appear to, but if they did, they haven't allowed it to derail their lives.

They were all so easily happy. They smiled and joked and they were ambitious for life and eagerly wanted to know what would come next. Besides Fen, the group didn't swear much, they didn't have dark senses of humor, and they weren't so hot-tempered.

Bar, Gus, and Law weren't used to that.

They were used to making ostentatious jokes and brushing off bruises; they lived through pain and didn't care if they were uncomfortable― life was uncomfortable, they knew that first hand. They didn't care if anyone heard their jokes about death, swear words, or brassy shows of violence. That's just the way they lived.

The way they always have been.

They've grown insensitive to the hardships of life, numb to other's opinions about them. They didn't care what anyone had to say and if, by chance, they overheard some fucker talking shit about them the answer always resulted in busted knuckles.

But sitting with Clementine, Fen, and Elijah made them... civil, or at least made them want to be civil.

It was easy, joking around at lunch like there wasn't a weight holding down the trio's shoulders.

They liked it.

Law often switched conversation's between everyone, as did Eli. Gus either annoyed his friends, started a fight with Law, or flirted with Fen. And Fen? She ignored him and focused on her hot Cheetos or had a thought-invoking conversation with Eli.

Bar and Clementine usually sat off and talked to one another, as Bar didn't really talk with anyone else, but the little goddess also paid attention to everyone else and talked to them but she was mostly content watching the different waves of conversation and stupidity unfold.

But today was different.

Today― although Gus was in an argument over trees with Law, and Fen was reading while Eli acted as a referee between the fighting teen like any other day― Clementine was literally bouncing in her spot and beaming up at Bar with a tiny blush on her face and she had been giving him this adorable excited look all day.

Bar was confused. He didn't quite know why she was looking at him like that, or if he had done anything to provoke that expression out of her either.

He asked her about it in their classes― they shared everything up until the last two classes of the day when Bar went to his home ec's class and the little goddess went to her gym class before then they switched, same teachers and everything― and Clementine refused to answer, which frustrated Bar and only made him feel really fucking stupid as the expression grew until she was bouncing off the walls when they got to their free 'tutoring' hours. 

Which both of them really just spent goofing around with the other and occasionally doing what they're supposed to.

Bar was just about to ask the little goddess why she was so excited when Gus slammed both hands onto the lunch table and exclaimed "Be my girlfriend!" towards Fen.