Chapter 12

"Hello?"
Hanna had picked up. At the sound of her voice I had a mini heart attack.
I got a lump in my throat as if I was going to cry. I really hadn't planned this through.
"Hello?" She said again. I needed to come up with something fast.
"Hi, I'm stuck in an elevator."
"I'm sorry, who's this?"
I sighed as if I was ashamed it was me. A part of me didn't want to tell her. But I knew if she was going to get me out of here I was going to have to say who it was.

"It's Rebecca."
Saying those words filled me with guilt.
What made it worse was the awkward silence that followed.
"Where are you?"
Did I really have to tell her? I could just end the call and stay here for the rest of the night.
Just as I started to say
"The hote-"
I head movements from outside...
I ended the call and shouted for help. I know I shouldn't have done that, it was just extra rude. But I knew that.
"HEY!" I shouted. They must have heard me because I heard footsteps coming in from the outside.
"Are you okay?" The voice belonged to a woman, she sounded like she had an accent.
"I've had better days." I said honestly, "I was wondering if you could help me get out of here. Somehow the lifts stuck."
"Where's the worker?" She said, meaning the boy at the desk.
"He left after he carried my stuff to the lift."
I was getting a bit agitated now. If only she could just get her out now.
"Oke" her accent was very thick on that one word "I'll press the button."
Not a moment later the door opened. Now that I saw the woman she looked like Asian, an old one at that.
"Thank you" I said. I was just grateful I was out of the lift.

________

After what just happened I definitely wasn't getting the lift so i took the stairs. I have to admit that the stairs went exactly as sturdy as I would have liked them to be, but it was much better than the lift.
After the long day I had just had every step upwards seemed like I was climbing a mountain. And not to mention the heaviness of my eyelids. Everytime I blinked it was like many years until I opened them.
As soon as I came into my room a sense of relief washed over me. So much drama had happened today. I was just glad today was over. That was my last thought as I slowly drifted off.

Hanna.

I woke up in a cold sweat. Everything around me was silent expect the calls of the birds. There was no people getting up early, going to their jobs or even the slight noise of chatting next door. This was all strange to me and I almost forgot where I was. Then I remembered yesterday.
I moaned as I rolled over to check my phone. Time: 9:30. I blinked at the harsh brightness of the phone and sat up. As I logged in, the first thing I noticed were 20 messages from Hanna.
"Are you okay?"
"Rebecca"
"Rebecca"
"Why did you hang up on me?"
"Please tell me your okay!"

To be honest I felt kinda guilty. I rubbed my eyes and started typing.
"Sorry I hung up on you like that."
No. It sounded to friendly, and I was too stubborn to pretend we are friends again.
I deleted the message and tried again.
"I got out the lift, sorry for calling."
It was plain but it was the best thing I could come up with.
I closed my phone and started to get dressed.

What should I do today?