Chapter 2- New Family

I know you hear me
Because the birds sing your songs to me
I know you see  me
Because the sun shines your light on me
I have never questioned your existence
But sometimes I question mine
Life's tribulations are not easy  to decipher
Often I am wary of which way to go
But I know that you're always with me
Because even at the emptiest of moments
I am never actually alone...

- Ruth b

For this chapter listen to rise by Boyce Avenue

7:00am. The alarm on the side of my bed rang. With my eyes still filled up with sleep, I tapped the snooze button and cursed this day.

It was a Sunday morning and I had no work today, so I guessed I'd just have to find what to do. Still in pajamas, I got out of my room to go have a glass of water, for I was thirsty.

I loved taking water in the morning because it's healthy. It helps tissues regulate temperature and maintain other body functions.

As I walked down the stairs heading to the kitchen, I spotted my mum and a man standing in the middle of the hall way, leading to the guests room. I stretched my ear a little bit closer, to eavesdrop their conversation, but I couldn't hear anything. I stared back at them, and by body gestures, they were so close to each other.

Suddenly, my mum got startled when she saw me standing staring at them.

"Xhey, darling did you sleep well?" She asked in a calm voice while approaching me.

"Yes I did."

Still wondering who the stranger was, I couldn't help but question, "Mum, who's this?"

"This is Jerry...Jerry meet Xhey, Xhey meet Jerry." She spoke cheerfully.

Jerry looked quite the age of my mum but abit older. Guessing he could be....42 years old. He was tall enough, had an under cut, his eyes were of a light blue shade and he was broad on his shoulders. I was still taking a close look at him when my mum surprised me. "We getting married."

The blood running through my veins stopped for a minute, to take in what she had just blabbered. I froze for about 3 minutes. Not that Jerry looked terrible or something... I mean, what the hell? My mums getting married?...... And I don't know about my dad? I didn't know how to react, because this was too much to take in.

My thoughts were shaken off when my mum asked "So what do you think, Xhey? Are you happy for me? You're finally going to have a dad."

My mums smile widened. I hadn't seen such a smile from her in such a long time. It was the prettiest thing I had ever seen, one of happiness growing much as a spring flower. But it suddenly faded and turned into a frown, immediately she looked at my face.

I was just staring, not knowing what to say. I mean what could I say, should I be happy just for her because literally, I wasn't happy. I just didn't like him a bit. He was replacing my dad I didn't even know. And I didn't know much about this Jerry dude. I had never seen him come home. So I literally didn't know if he knew my mum long enough. All this was running through my mind.

"Excuse me for a second, can I speak to you mum...alone?" I asked.

"Sure thing." My mum worried.

We led our way to the living room and sat on the black couch together. Silence first flooded the room,  till I got the gas to speak. "Mum, do you know Jerry?"

"Yes darling, I do. We've been in the same book club for over two years now, and I can assure you, his a good guy and will surely be a good father." She assured me.