Heroes

Iron Man landed them on the top of an apartment building. Like Koala in a thunderstorm, Peter fell of Iron Man clutching his stomach. His rumbling, nauseous stomach.

"I think I ate a fly on the way here, Mr. Iron Man." He quivered.

"Good. Maybe you'll get a new superpower or something." Iron Man began warming up his repulsar's again. "Friday, building schematics please?"

"Schematics confirmed."

"That door there leads to the bottom of the building. Take it and hope you're anywhere close to home."

"You're leaving? Already?"

"Kid, what do you think I do all day, date hot chicks?" Iron Man paused, "Okay maybe not all the time..."

"Statistically, you dated 'hot chicks' for about 5-"

"What did I say about daily life statistics in public, Friday?" Iron Man interrupted. "You shouldn't say them. Am I right? Or was it just me hearing that on that one date with Pepper?"

"Sorry ...sugar bun." She teased.

Iron Man scowled at her. "Young lady, keep that attitude up and I will make you count all the digits of Pi until your circuits melt."

"B-but wait! I just have so many questions!" Peter called out.

"Sorry kid. There's an Iron Man blog with a Q&A. If you're just interested in the suit, that's private matter. You're welcome to talk about robotic intelligence with Jocasta, though. I could patch an interview."

"No! I..J-just tell me if...if...." Peter took in a deep breathe. As Iron Man's repulsars began to fire, Peter yelled at the top of his lungs.

"Can you tell me if I could ever become a hero? Even if I don't have any superpowers, could I ever become someone as great as you?" Suddenly, Iron Man's repulsars shut off.

"What the..." Iron Man grumbeled. A tiny alarm went off in Iron Man's suit. Peter barely noticed it though.

This is my chance, Peter thought, I've got his attention. Talk.

"Everyone thinks I can't do it. That just because I'm not born with some sort of amazing ability, I can't become a superhero. Worse, that I'm some useless piece of flesh."

"Sh*t," Iron Man scanned his surroundings frantically.

"Yeah, I know that it's...shist....but you know what? That just makes me want to do better; to prove them wrong."

"Saving people, fighting villains, it's always been my dream. And I'm not going to let a few people talk me down. I'll prove it to them, to everyone, that I can become a great hero!"

"And I'll be utterly fearless while doing it, just like you!" Peter proudly pointed at Iron Man.

He noticed that Iron Man's suit was releasing massive amounts of steam. Meanwhile, Nanites peeled of his body in the process. Eventually, the whole suit crumbled into a pile of red flecks beneath a Stark-naked Tony.

"Suit power 0," Friday beeped. "Mark 41 usage advised."

"No sh*t Sherlock," Iron Man grunted. When the smoke cleared, Peter was able to properly see Tony Stark.

Or, at least, someone similar.

The man's gut was shrunken to the point his ribs stretched out of his chest. His cheeks were sullen, and his cropped hair was dotted grey. His classic goatee looked unchecked, and his eyes no longer shined with the entrapenruer brilliance the true Tony did. They looked jaded.