Chapter 27.

I stood up with my hand on the table, & my other hand going through my long wet hair, pushing it back. When I turned back, holding the tray in my one hand, the girls who were mocking me before had frozen, the fear, & shock evident in their faces. That's when I realized I've been inducing such chilling blood-lust, glaring at them with the need to kill, & I softened my glare slightly, exterminating my thirst as if it was never there from the start, like it was just their imagination.

 I walked slowly towards their direction; they still hadn't moved, no. They were unable to move from shock, they probably saw me as a lion slowly sneaking upon them, I knew how it felt. Since this kind of blood-thirst, threat was also used on me. I had memorized it with the best of my abilities, how he approached me back then, how he moved forward so confidently it was scary, how he made himself look so threatening. I had memorized it because I knew it might save me someday, though I never thought of using it here. That was just an instinct.

 The tray I held fell on the one she held, & I passed her calmly as I patted her shoulder, what might seem like a friendly gesture but was actually a threat; 'Watch your back for the time being, you don't know how long your father's illegal business will last unknown.' No one except the three of them heard what I said; she looked around with panic as to check if someone else heard it though they probably didn't even think I said something as I passed her but her pale face would make them suspicious. Cut it out, from your look they'd think you had a knife at your throat just now.

 I chuckled, & left the cafeteria which was in utter silence, as if everyone was holding their breath to see if something serious would happen. As if I would become the amusement of people, I'd rather have them as my entertainers. No, they are my entertainment, just like how amusing it is to watch a butterfly with one wing try to fly.

...

 I was waiting in the empty music room for Lucas, & occasionally, the piano kept catching my eyes for some reason; it's not like... it's prohibited right? It wouldn't hurt...

 My hands crept up to the piano slowly, & lifted the fall board, but just as I was about to fully open it, the door flew open, making me jolt, and the fall board closed with a loud 'bam.'

 'Ugh,' I looked up at Lucas who was staring at me with no expression or whatsoever, unlike his usual self, & it reminded me of how Rhys looked like. With no expressions, disinterest, aloofness, how his expressions failed to reveal his feelings, or he just didn't feel at all. Never mind that, I'm curious as for why he would want to meet me, I mean I can guess; he wanted to ask why I couldn't cooperate with him. Lucas had a firm belief that everything must be done with a reason, so he'll try to squeeze out an answer from me, why that I wouldn't join him despite not being on Rhys's side. This is the only time his play boy facade wears off completely to reveal the real part of him, when he's questioning someone because he genuinely doesn't understand.

 'Why?' I flinched because once again, I was shocked by how easy to predict he was; 'You don't seem to hate me, or Allan, or its because you hide it well-'

 'No, I don't.'

'If you tell me his weakness, you'll profit from being on our side, so why-?'

'It's childish,' I answered, & he trembled slightly looking down; 'Childish?' his voice was cold, threatening; I shivered when that blood-chilling image of the man appeared in my mind again.

'If you think it's just because I want to win him in this dumb competition of ranks, or-'

'I know it's not; it's childish because you think he sees you in the same way, a competitor, an enemy. To him, you're just a passing bug, annoying yes but not threatening. It's just pathetic from my point of view.'

 '... You don't know anything.'

Oh, I know. You told the heroine everything about how your mother died because of his family, & how their family had been enemies ever since, both lethal to each other, and she poisoned him for you, didn't she? I waited... I waited for him to stand up, & hoped he'd wake up even after being poisoned, just stand up once more as if nothing happened. It was like I was watching him die right before me, in a glass box I was unable to get through, unable to do anything except silently wait, & weep. I thought I could feel his pain, misery, his  desperate hope for her love, I thought I was dying, but I still hoped he would be ok, that he'd open his eyes. He didn't though, he just left with that bitter smile, still loving the heroine who killed him. I would've killed her for him, if possible. I would've threatened the author to change the ending, to give him a happy ending even if it was with that b*tch. I hated the helplessness, I hated her. That night I died, I was on my way to buy alcohol, & then car crash. Even my stupid death was connected to the novel, & he died because of you.

 'If you say so, indeed I know nothing,' I admitted, & attempted to pass him but he grabbed my arm; 'What do you mean by that?'

 'Nothing, I know nothing. That's what I said.'

'Liar! You're lying!'

 'You're right, I am lying,' his shocked face grew into my view as I turned back at him, slowly stepping back in front of him; 'I know Rhys's weakness, I know his vulnerabilities, but I also know yours, & Allan's-'

'How would you...?'

  'However you may imagine, is that satisfactory enough as an answer for you?'

'You're... you're not joking,' he muttered with his eyes wide, looking incredibly attractive as he did so; aish, sometimes I just forgot how good they look.

 'You're right, I'm not. So am I done here? Can I go-'

'Does that mean, you also know... what-'

'You're quick to catch on, or maybe slow. I don't know who to compare you with but bye.' I passed him, & went for the door.

  'Wait, one last thing,' he said, making me pause; 'Have I seen you before?'

'Oh, you did. At the cafe, if that's what you're taking about.'

'I'm not,' Lucas denied, & I turned around to meet his stare out of instinct; he looked somewhat determined, suspicious. Is it possible that he thinks I'm...?

 'I've never, ever met you before that in my life.'