Swimming Is Not Kaminari's Thing

Summary: Class 1-A elected a day at the beach to be their field trip. Too bad Kaminari had a crippling fear of the water.

To put it in less harsh terms, Kaminari wasn't fond of the water. At all. He was just learning to swim when the accident happened, what was supposed to be a happy pool day turned into quite possibly the worst day of his life. People told him that it wasn't his fault, but how was he supposed to believe that. It was his own fault his stupid electricity quirk killed his baby sister, along with half of the family's in the pool.

After that incident he steered clear of the water. He wouldn't say that he was exactly scared of the water... but he avoided it at all cost. Bathtubs? no. Hot springs? no. The ocean? Out of the question.

Which is why he flat out rejected the proposal of a beach day. The class was lent a bus that would provide transport to wherever they wanted their field trip to be. They just had to vote on the location,  their teacher would see to the details. 

Kaminari tapped his pencil against the desk impatiently as the class hollered out suggestions to Momo, who frantically scribbled the ideas onto the board. 

"Lets roast those damn nerds in a joint training session."

"Bakugo i regret to inform you, but this is a day for relaxation!"

Bakugo snorted, obnoxiously kicking his feet up on his desk. "You should take your own advice four eyes, you always got that stick up your ass!"

"That kind of language isn't becoming of a future hero, Bakugo."

Before the ash blonde could reply, Mineta shot up from his seat, catching the attention of the ones around him. "We should go to a strip clu-" A shoe hit him square in the face. 

Kaminari winced, watching as Mineta fell backwards from his chair. He was fine with a little flirting, but a strip club? Yeah, no. He got what he deserved. Kirishima leaned forward in excitement, grabbing onto Kaminari's shoulder. "Lets have a beach day!" He grinned toothily.

There was a silence before collective agreement settled among the class. Mineta drooled on the floor dreamily. Kaminari really wished he could rejoice with the rest of the class, but instead he went ridged under Kirishima's touch. The red head took his hand off of his shoulder, frowning down. "Bro you okay? You don't look too good."

Kaminari hoped that his smile looked real, because it felt strained. "Nah i'm good, just tired."

And that was how Denki Kaminari ended up laying down under an umbrella at the beach. It was a hot day, and most of the class was splashing around in the water. Kaminari wanted no part of it, he was perfectly fine with sitting on his towel and scrolling through his phone. The sun shone harshly against the sand, doubling the suns already intense rays.

He pulled his shades on, readjusting his laying position to roll onto his stomach. He decided he wouldn't move from his little camp, content with just watching his class playfully shove each other under the waves. At one point he swore he saw Mineta being used as a volleyball, but frankly, he didn't care.

Of course he tried to get back into the water after his quirk awakening, but he couldn't bring himself to do anything besides sink to the bottom of the 4ft baby pool, whimpering when he was dragged out by the lifeguard. He didn't try again after that. 

"Kami, why don't you come into the water with usssss!" Mina wined as she plopped down onto the towel next to him. Kaminari set down his phone, twisting around so he could look her in the eyes. "I don't want to ruin my perfect skin and get sunburn like you guys."

True to his word, half of the class had acquired tomato red skin that would no doubt blister over the next day. Mina grinned slyly before snatching the shades from his face, sliding them on her own face. Kaminari only let out an indignant 'hey' as she ran off. "You wont need these if your not going to come out from under that umbrella." Kaminari flicked her off, turning back around with a huff.