Chapter 4

Several months had passed, and we tried to move on as best we could. But things never seem to work out in a way that makes it possible. Currently, Kakashi and I were on a rescue mission. Rin had been kidnapped by the Mist, and we were desperate to get her back. As we ran through the forest, jumping from tree to tree, I couldn't help but think the worst, but pray that we found her alive. The three of us had grown very close since Obito's death, and she was able to push aside her hatred of my friendship with  Kakashi, making us actual friends. I really saw her as more of a sister, if I'm being honest.

"Kashi, I think I see something." I looked ahead, and it looked like a cave with guards surrounding it. I took a deep breath in, and prepared to battle for my friend's life.

"I see it too. Get ready." I nodded. We jumped down in front of them, Kakashi taking the initiative to begin fighting with the guards, and me backing him up. The two of us fought together flawlessly. Since we could practically read each others minds, it came natural for us to move together like one person. Kakashi kicked the last guard, sending him up into the air towards the spot where my special kunai had landed seconds before, and I teleported to it, using Minato-Sensei's jutsu. I wasn't as good as he was, but good enough. I arrived above the guard, and pushed my other kunai through his chest, before punching him back towards Kakashi, who landed the final blow by kicking him into the ground.

We both landed back on the ground, and made our way into the cave, careful of any other people who might be around. I scanned the room with my sharingan, trying to pick up any chakra, or other movement and was starting to get discouraged until I saw someone's very disrupted chakra sitting behind a rock in front of us.

"She's behind the rock." I whispered, not wanting to attract more attention to us. Kakashi just nodded and made his way back there, me following behind him, covering him.

"She's in a genjutsu." Kakashi whispered, and made the handsign to release it. "Release." I sighed in relief when she started to wake up.

"Come on, Rin, we have to get out of here." I grabbed her arm and started pulling her towards the exit. Her and Kakashi followed, and we were back in the woods, running for our lives.

"Guys, something isn't right." Rin seemed off. Like something was bothering her. But she was kidnapped, so I mean, it makes sense.

"I know. We'll talk about it when we get back, come on!" Kakashi yelled. I could tell he was ready for this to be over. Suddenly, Rin stopped running. I stopped too, looking at her like she's crazy. This did feel too easy though. They only had a few guards, and they were pretty easy to beat. No one was inside with her.

"Rin, come on, we've got to leave!" I yelled. We can deal with this later. It doesn't matter if it feels easy, she's safe.

"No, something's wrong. I can hear something in my head. They said something about a ritual, or something, I don't know. I think something is going to happen." She looked terrified. Kakashi just grabbed her arm and started running again, me trailing behind them.

"We have to go, Rin!" He yelled again. Rin seemed to be deep in thought when she suddenly stopped again, tears in her eyes.

"You have to kill me." She whispered.

"What? Are you crazy?" I yelled her.

"They put one of the tailed beasts in me to attack the village. I can't go back." She sobbed.

"We'll figure it out later, Rin, come on!" Kakashi yelled more forcefully this time.

"No!" She screamed. "I can't go back! You have to kill me!" She was sobbing now. Now, there were many people surrounding us, not giving us the time to talk about this. We had to fight.

"Kashi..." I muttered. We were greatly outnumbered.

"I know. Just try your best." He sounded scared. At least I'm not the only one. I don't even remember the fight, I just know that I took out as many as I could, and was exhausted by the time I heard the chirping of Kakashi's chidori. I looked over at him for a split second to make sure he was fine, and then I saw it.

Rin jumped in front of him.

His arm went right through her, killing her instantly. I froze in shock, and screamed. I saw Kakashi's eyes go wide, and he collapsed to the floor, pulling his hand out of Rin, and holding her to him. I tried to run towards them, and see if we could save her, but I tripped on something, and was pulled back by the enemy who launched a kunai right into my abdomen. I fell to the ground, screaming, instantly making the knife go deeper into me as I began to cough mixed in with my screams. I'm sure blood was coming out as I coughed, but I wasn't sure. I couldn't feel anything any more, and black spots began to invade my vision. I was going to pass out. I didn't think I'd die, but who knows. Maybe I'm not so lucky.

"Kakashi!" I tried to yell, but it came out as a whisper as I lost consciousness.