Chapter 47

"Come out, Hidden Leaf!" One of the Raikage's body guards yelled. I figured they knew we were there. One of them was probably a sensory ninja. It would be smart to bring one with him. We jumped out from behind the rock we were hiding behind. I was standing between Kakashi and Naruto, and Yamato was on Naruto's other side. I was nervous for this conversation. The Raikage was hugely built and could probably crush all of us in an instant. Not to mention the fact that we weren't supposed to be here.

"We need to talk." Naruto said. He was determined to do this, and I was too, in a way. I wanted Sasuke to answer for what he's done, but not with death. Tsunade would help me with that when she woke up. Hopefully. Danzo can't be Hokage forever. Tsunade has to wake up. She just has to. The blonde body guard from earlier was whispering with the Raikage, and I could tell it was about Kakashi and I. He kept staring at us. It was a bit unsettling.

"Did the Hokage send you, Kakashi Hatake and Mika Uchiha." The Raikage asked. I gulped, nerves filling my every being. I refused to let that show though.

"No. We came of our own accord." Kakashi answered, remaining calm, as he always did. "Naruto Uzumaki has a request to make. We escorted him here." The Raikage looked unimpressed.

"If you could just hear him out for a few minutes. It won't take long." I added, hiding any trace of emotion from my voice and face. Thank you, Father. You may not have liked this training in retrospect, but I appreciate it more and more as I age. 

"You're stopping us on the way to a summit for an unscheduled conversation?" One of the Cloud ninja responded. I glanced at him, indifference showing on my face. He looked taken aback that we were being so bold. In truth, I was too. I liked this idea though. We had to try something. This may be our last chance.

"It's fine. Speak, boy!" The Raikage commanded Naruto. I glanced at Naruto and he didn't show any signs of nervousness. I was proud in a way. I expected him to be more emotional. Naruto took a deep breath, and I held mine. This might determine my little brother's future.

"I would like to ask you to stop your command to kill Sasuke Uchiha." He said, firmly, but not too much so. He would make an excellent Hokage one day. This was good practice. Everyone on the Raikage's side gasped. It made sense. Whatever Sasuke did this time clearly pissed them off.

"You've got guts, kid." The Raikage said, anger showing in his voice.

"I know it sounds crazy, but Sasuke is my friend, and you want to kill him! I can't stand by and do nothing, ya know!" Naruto yelled, showing his desperation. There it is. the emotions. We'll have to work on that. I kept myself expressionless, although I wanted to step in with everything in me. To save Sasuke.  But not yet. I'll step in later if I need to. Naruto needs to be able to do things like this on his own. "I don't want a war to start between our villages over Sasuke!" He yelled. He was shaking and showing every ounce of his desperation and anger now.

I wanted to join him, but kept my composure instead. I couldn't let my emotions betray me here. The Raikage walked past us, saying nothing. I closed my eyes tightly. So that's his answer. I took a deep breath so I could continue to hide my emotions well. Tsunade may accept my outbursts related to Sasuke, but the Raikage would not. He did not appear to be a patient man. What Naruto did next truly shocked me. He moved in front of the Raikage and bowed on his hands and knees. My eyes went wide before settling back into their emotionless stare.

"I'm begging you! I don't want our villages killing each other anymore! Not over Sasuke!" He yelled. My heart went out for him. He was really trying. The Raikage stepped around him. I decided to step in, although more respectfully. Naruto was getting nowhere.

"Naruto has a point, sir." I started. My voice was still emotionless, and I chose to keep it that way. He stopped in his tracks. "All Sasuke thought about was revenge. It consumed him. He wanted vengeance for what happened to him, and it made him go mad. He stopped thinking about other people. I think what Naruto is getting at is that we can't let our villages end up like this as well." I managed to keep my composure, even though I felt like throwing up because I was so nervous. I've never had to fight for Sasuke's life before. Tsunade always was on my side. She never even entertained the thought of killing him. This was a new sensation for me, and I didn't like it. Naruto was still on his hands and knees in tears. I would not go that far, but I would try to help him. Sasuke is my little brother, after all. And I promised Naruto we would bring him back together. I wouldn't go back on that promise now.

"We will dispose of Sasuke Uchiha." The Raikage commanded. I bit my lip to stop the tears from falling from my eyes. I had to keep my composure, even now. That was it. We failed. All we can do is hope that Sasuke changes his mind and comes home where we can deal with him. Tsunade won't let him die. Naruto collapsed into the snow, and I did nothing. I was trying to control my shaking body. They're really going to try to kill Sasuke. Tsunade isn't awake. She can't protect him. Danzo wants him dead. He'll probably suggest hunting him before the Raikage even gets a chance. Sasuke. Look what you've gotten yourself into. I don't know if I can get you out of this one, little brother.

"We've let your have your say. We'll be going now." One of the Cloud ninja announced.

"Here is a young ninja bowing to you, who is not his Kage, and Sasuke Uchiha's older sister fighting back tears out of respect for you as you plan to kill the brother who is her last remaining family." Kakashi said, very respectfully. I was again, thankful that he was here. He always seemed to know what to do. "They ask not only for Sasuke's life, but for the future of both the Leaf and Cloud villages. Can you not spare listening to them, Lord Raikage?" The Raikage turned around, anger obvious on his features.

"Ninja do not bow so easily." He said bitterly. My eyes narrowed at him for a second before I put my neutral face back together. "And a sister must still realize her family member's wrongdoings." He said with venom pointed at me. "The Akatsuki will be branded as wanted by all nations, and then Sasuke Uchiha will be hunted. Bowing and crying for a criminal is not noble, it is foolish." I winced at the words. He's right. I know it's foolish to save Sasuke. But I have to try. I'll hate myself if I don't.

"With all due respect, Lord Raikage, I understand that Sasuke deserves punishment for his actions. I have said that from the moment that he left the village. I do not wish for him to get a free pass." I did my best to keep my voice neutral and respectful, even though I wanted nothing more than to join Naruto in a ball of tears for my brother. "But, I truly believe that he is not in a sound state of mind. Because of that, I ask that you consider allowing the Leaf to deal with him." I felt my voice falter towards the end, but I didn't show any emotions on my face. I consider that a win.

"The Akatsuki will be hunted as criminals. Sasuke Uchiha will be killed." He answered with finality in his voice before turning and walking away, the rest of his ninja following behind him. Kakashi knelt beside Naruto and tried to comfort him. I took deep breaths and tried to calm myself down while Naruto punched the snow.

"Naruto, if I can hold myself together, surely you can too." I said flatly. He would need this skill as a Hokage. If Minato wanted me to train him, I would do just that, even if Naruto was unaware it was happening. "You can cry about it when we get to the inn." I said, still trying to hold in my tears. Kakashi stood up, and came to stand by me, putting his hand in mine. He must know that if he hugs me now, like I wanted him to, I'll fall apart.

"Mika, go easy on him. He's still a kid." Kakashi said quietly, so Naruto wouldn't hear.

"If he wants to be the Hokage, he needs to learn this." I explained, just as quietly. He nodded, understanding what I was doing. Naruto would need to learn to suppress his emotions, and this was a teaching moment. Naruto finally got himself together, and joined us as all four of us made our way to an inn for the night.

—————————-

Once at the inn and in our room, Naruto laid on the ground, defeated while I finally let my tears fall. They're really planning on killing Sasuke. I'm gonna lose him too. Kakashi sighed and sat behind me, wrapping his arms around my frame and pulling me to him while I cried. Yamato looked sad, but he didn't know Sasuke. I knew he was only here because of Naruto. It was fine with me. Kakashi and Yamato were both asleep after awhile, and I let them stay that way. I could keep watch. I didn't plan on sleeping anyways. I kept thinking about Sasuke. What the hell is he thinking? He got the revenge wanted, and still refused to come home. What's going on? What did he do to the Raikage? Why did he join the Akatsuki?

"Hello Naruto." I heard a voice say, snapping me from my thoughts. "We should really have a talk." I gasped at what I saw, and moved from Kakashi to stand in front of Naruto, sharingan already activated. The man with the orange mask was sitting on our window seal.