Chaptet 31

After we arrived in the Sand village, we were taken straight to the hospital. Kankuro, one of Gaara's siblings had been poisoned, and they wanted Sakura to try to heal him. I was intrigued. I hadn't seen Sakura's medical ninjutsu in action yet, so it should be interesting. Sakura worked tirelessly, doing things I didn't even know how to describe. Kakashi, Naruto and I sat outside of the room, waiting for her to be done. I was honestly tempted to take a nap. We ran here as fast as we could at Naruto's request. I get it. Gaara is like him, and he wants to help. But not all of us have amazing chakra reserves. I leaned my head on Kakashi's shoulder and decided to at least rest my eyes. When we first got here, Kakashi was attacked by an old lady who thought Kakashi was his dad, so I knew he was awake enough for both of us. It wouldn't hurt to relax a little.

"I wonder about Lady Tsunade's decision to keep you two working together." The old lady said, waking me from my nonexistent sleep. Her name was Lady Chiyo. Apparently she was a village elder here.

"We work well together." Kakashi said, in a bored tone. He was reading the new Icha Icha book, so I doubted he wanted to be bothered.

"Yes, I've heard of you two." I smirked. Apparently our reputation even reached the Sand village. "But allowing people who are clearly in love to be on a team? It's nonsense." She shook her head disapprovingly. I rolled my eyes. How many times had we been though this? Is it really anybody's business?

"With all due respect, it's none of your business if we're in a relationship or not." I started. I may have been a little rude, but I was tired, and if she knew of us, she should know that we almost always succeed. Kakashi elbowed me to tell me to be nicer. I sighed. "I assure you, Lady Chiyo, our feelings will not get in the way of the mission. Lady Tsunade allows us to work together for a reason." I closed my eyes again, done with defending myself.

"I should hope so. I am also aware of the Uchiha arrogance that you seem to have inherited." She replied skeptically. I decided to ignore her statement. Why must everyone think I'm arrogant? I'm not even the arrogant one! Has she met either of my brothers?

"Actually, Granny Chiyo, Mika-sensei isn't that arrogant." Naruto defended me. "People just think she is because of her name, believe it!" I smirked, and decided that I probably wasn't going to get any sleep, so I sat up, and looked at Naruto in thanks. He really is a good kid. I had grown to love both him and Sakura like family over the years, so it was nice that they seemed to think the same thing.

"I've met plenty of Uchiha in my day. They're all arrogant." My fist tightened, but I held my tongue. Father wouldn't want me to disgrace him by yelling. "They believe that the sharingan is god's gift to them, but I know how to stop it." I rolled my eyes. Of course it can be stopped. The sharingan is an amazing tool, but it is not invincible. Though I guess most people thought it was. I guess that's what she meant by Uchiha arrogance.

"I'm sorry that this has been your experience." Kakashi stated, still boredly. He closed his book, and looked at Lady Chiyo, clearly annoyed. "I've known many Uchiha as well, and they are not all arrogant. Mika may actually be one of the least arrogant people I know." He gave a closed eye smile to try to make his words seem less harsh. I smiled at him defending me. I had great people in my life, that much is for certain.

"You should meet either of my brothers, and then see if you still believe I'm arrogant." I grumbled. Both of them had some kind of complex, I swear. I didn't want to run into either of them on this mission though. As thrilled as I would be to see Sasuke, now was not the time to bring him home. We had to save Gaara instead. And I didn't know what I would do if we saw Itachi. The thought alone paralyzes me.

"Oh yes, the two rogue ninja. You must be so proud of your remaining family." She said sarcastically. I rolled my eyes. I can give it right back.

"Yes, I'm very proud of my mass murderer of a brother, and my other revenge stricken one. They sure do make the family proud." My voice dripped with sarcasm and I raised my eyebrow. She sure knew how to push my buttons. Maybe Naruto can change her like he did everyone else. So far, I was not impressed.