Chapter 41

When I arrived at the Uchiha hideout, I was met with what looked like Itachi's partner, Kisame, fighting with a kid with white hair. There were two other people with them, but I ignored them. If Kisame is here, so is Itachi, and so is Sasuke. I'm at the right place. I ran past the people out front and went right to where I could see the remains of a fight. I looked around trying to find either of my brothers, and finally saw Itachi stumbling towards Sasuke with two fingers aimed at his eyes, and Sasuke cowering against a wall, looking terrified. My heart rate quickened and I tried to keep my breath even. He's trying to take his eyes? What the hell?!

"Itachi! Stop!" I screamed and jumped next to them. Sasuke's eyes widened at my arrival, but he didn't fight me. Itachi glanced over to me, but said nothing. "Please don't kill him. He did nothing wrong, Tachi. Kill me instead." I bargained, desperation in my voice even though I tried to mask it. Tears were begging to fall from my eyes. Itachi stared at me for a minute, seemingly considering my offer. Sasuke looked shocked that I would say such a thing. That I would still offer my life for his after he abandoned me. "My eyes are better anyways. Take them." I bargained again. I had the mangekyo, Sasuke did not. My eyes were better.

"Sorry, Mika. I let you down." Itachi finally whispered before poking Sasuke in the forehead. My eyes went wide, as did Sasuke's eyes. He let me down? What does that even mean? I tried to grab Itachi's arm, but he pulled it away, and I was too shocked to do anything else. "Sorry, little brother." He whispered to Sasuke, and then he collapsed. I gasped, and fell to the ground next to him. Sasuke slid down the wall, and had a panicked look on his face. My emotions were all over the place. Itachi is dead. He could have easily killed both of us. Why didn't he? Sasuke did this. I should be angry. But I'm not? Or maybe I am? What are these emotions?

"What are you doing here, Mika?" Sasuke asked, clearly exhausted. I looked at him with sad eyes, and then threw myself onto him in a hug. Even if I might be angry with him, my joy at seeing him alive outweighs that at the moment. His whole body tensed, and he didn't hug me back, but I didn't care. I hadn't seen my little brother in three years.

"You're a freaking idiot, Sasuke." I said and released him. He was glaring at me. My face softened and I looked at him for what felt like forever. He looked so grown up. So hardened to the world. So full of hatred. I wanted to just hug him and never let him go again. "Come home." I said hesitantly. I definitely was angry with him, I decided, but I wanted him to come home. We could fix it when he was back. I already knew his answer though. He didn't want to come home. His eyes told me that much.

"No." He said weakly. Tears started falling from my eyes. I didn't know who or what for, but I let them fall. Was I sad about Itachi? Was I just sad that Sasuke still couldn't come back? Was I crying out of anger?

"Why not? You did what you wanted to, right? You killed Itachi." I said through my tears, anger playing in my tone as I glanced towards his body. "Come home, Sasuke." I said more forcefully. He shook his head.

"I'll come home when I want to." He said emotionlessly and then passed out from exhaustion. I groaned. He's so damn stubborn! I should just pick him up and make him come home. I should place a seal on him. Then I can at least teleport to him.

"Did you record it, Zetsu? I want to watch later." I heard a voice call, making me jump, and turn around before I had a chance to do anything more. My heart rate quickened even more than it already was. The masked guy. And Zetsu? He looks like a plant. I'm not sure I like him. Really, do I like any of the Akatsuki? They all seemed to be weird in some way.

"Oh look, the three Uchihas, all together again. So heartwarming, right, Tobi?" Zetsu teased. My breath quickened. I dried my tears, and tried to prepare for a fight.

"Right. Good to see you again, Mika. I'll be taking Itachi and Sasuke now." Tobi's voice has completely changed. It was very child like before, but now it sounds deep and almost menacing.  Who is he? What is he? Where have I seen him?

"No!" I yelled and jumped up in a fight stance. "Leave them here. They're my family." I said forcefully. Zetsu rolled his eyes. I could feel tears threatening to fall once more, but I refused to let them. They couldn't take either of my brothers. I couldn't let them.

"I don't want a fight. It's pointless. I'll be taking them now."  Tobi said and jumped at me,  hitting me over the head, and making me pass out.

——————————-

"Mika, wake up." I heard Kakashi say. My eyes fluttered open and I saw him leaning over me, and Sakura healing my head wound.

"What happened, Mika-sensei?!" Naruto asked, loudly. The memories came flooding back to me. Itachi is dead. Sasuke killed him. Tobi took both of them away. Tears started forming in my eyes. I put on my best emotionless face. They couldn't see me break. I had to remain objective. "Mika-sensei! Where is Sasuke?!" He yelled again. I flinched at his angry tone. My tears threatened more forcefully. I tried my best to keep myself under control. I was too late to save them. Again. When would I stop failing my brothers?

"Naruto, give her a minute. She just woke up.  Go help the others." Kakashi said, and helped me sit up. Sakura was almost done healing my head wound. "Sakura, why don't you go with him? She'll be okay." He added softly. She nodded and walked away. Kakashi immediately pulled me into a hug, sensing I needed it, and I started sobbing as quietly as I could, hiding myself in his arms. I still didn't know who or what I was crying for.

"He did it. He killed Itachi." I got out through my sobs. "Tobi took both of them. I was too late." I said, trying to calm down. I felt Kakashi nod, and he pulled me closer to him.

"It's okay. We'll find them." He said and kissed the top of my head. I shook my head.

"Sasuke said he won't come home." I stopped crying, but refused to leave Kakashi's embrace. I didn't care if we were on a mission. My brother just killed my other brother. "I-i asked, and he said no." There was a long pause in conversation. I kept thinking back to Itachi's death. It was strange. He had every opportunity to kill me. I was basically defenseless. I offered to let him kill me to save Sasuke. "He could have killed me." Kakashi pushed me back and looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Itachi. He could have killed me. I was so shocked, it wouldn't have taken much." I left out the part where I told him to do it.

"But he didn't." Kakashi finished my thought.

"He didn't." I nodded. I knew my eyes were void of emotion. "He could have killed Sasuke too. He was cowered against that wall, terrified. Something is weird. Why wouldn't he kill us?" I wondered out loud. It's almost as if he wanted to die. Kakashi shrugged.

"I don't know, Mika." He rubbed my shoulders. "Let's go home, okay? We can't trace Sasuke any further, and obviously bringing Itachi back alive isn't an option anymore either. The mission is done." I nodded. He was right. "I'll tell the others. You teleport home." He said. I raised an eyebrow at him. I kept a kunai at home at all times so I could get home quickly if I needed to. "I can tell you need to be alone." I nodded. I didn't want to be around people. I needed time to digest everything. Figure out my emotions. Time away from Naruto's constant questioning.

"I'll see you at home." I nodded and teleported back to our apartment.