Chapter 40

Sakura, Naruto, Kakashi and I were all in Tsunade's office, waiting for her and Jiraiya to tell us whatever they called us in for. I had a weird feeling about it. They both looked conflicted.

"Sasuke killed Orochimaru." Tsunade finally said. My eyes went wide and I stared at her. He what? He actually killed him? Kakashi grabbed my hand and interlaced our fingers. I barely even noticed. I was too focused on Tsunade. I vaguely noticed Sakura crying, but couldn't focus on that either. I just stared in shock at Tsunade.

"I knew he wouldn't let Orochimaru kill him! So, when is he coming back to the village?" Naruto said, excitedly. I scoffed and finally turned my gaze to him in a small glare. Kakashi squeezed my hand to remind me that Naruto did nothing wrong. He did not deserve the outburst that was directed at Sasuke's stupidity. Sure, I'm proud of him for managing to kill Orochimaru, but what comes next makes me want to scream.

"He's not coming back yet." Jiraiya added. I glared at him now.

"What do you mean? He wanted to get power. He has it. He can come back, right?" Sakura asked, sounding desperate.

"He has other plans." Was all Tsunade said. I scoffed again.

"What plans?" Naruto yelled. "Mika-sensei?" He asked. I side glanced at him.

"He plans to kill Itachi." I said flatly. Both Sakura and Naruto gasped. I closed my eyes tightly. I was still so on the fence on whether I wanted Itachi dead or not. I knew I needed to find Sasuke. That was goal one. If I could maybe save Itachi and gain information from him, it might be worth it, but killing him might be more satisfying. Or it might destroy me. Who knows?

"So, if we find Itachi, we find Sasuke?" Naruto finally said. I nodded, though he probably couldn't see me. Tsunade seemed deep in thought about this. I didn't know why. It made perfect sense. If we can find Itachi, we will find Sasuke. If we find Sasuke, we might find Itachi. They are a package deal at this point.

"I think I have a plan, Lady Tsunade." Kakashi said boredly, but I could tell he was a little smug about his plan. I glanced up at him and he was staring at Tsunade with a lazy expression in his eyes. Tsunade nodded, telling him to continue. "Like Naruto said, if we find Itachi, we find Sasuke. So, if we put a team together and look for Itachi, we're likely to find him. I'd recommend team 7 and team 8." He said. I mulled over the plan. Of course it could work, but why would Tsunade want to look for Itachi? She had no reason to want to find him.

"The only way I can approve that is if Itachi is captured alive and brought back here for questioning. I can't just send nine people on a mission to find Sasuke." Tsunade was staring me down, as if she was asking if I could manage to not kill Itachi if we found him.

"Even better. Then we can all get some information from him, and we might draw Sasuke back into the village." Kakashi said in his bored tone.

"Mika, I know I told you I would send you on the next mission involving Sasuke, but I don't know if I can. You're too involved. It's not just Sasuke we're looking for, it's Itachi too." Tsunade gave me a soft smile. I rolled my eyes.

"With all due respect, Tsunade, if you don't send me on this mission, I'll go by myself and accept the consequences later." I said bluntly, trying to mask the emotions in my voice. I couldn't just stay here and let them go after my brothers. I needed to be there. Tsunade put her head in her hands and sighed deeply.

"Kakashi, she's your responsibility on this mission. Don't let her do anything rash." Tsunade sent me a pointed glare, but I didn't even care. I'm going on the mission! I'm going to get to see Sasuke! "I'll call the others in. You'll leave within the hour." She added and dismissed us.