Chapter 17

The next morning, I was shaken awake by a sad looking Sasuke.

"What is it?" I asked groggily, also wondering how I got to my bed last night.

"I'm sorry." He muttered.

"It's okay Sasuke. I understand." I rubbed my eyes and tried to wake myself up.

"It's not okay. Kakashi-sensei talked to me and I never realized why you were gone all the time." He could barely look me in the eye. I felt bad. He shouldn't have to feel like this. He said it himself, he didn't realize.

"You're still a child." He scoffed. "Seriously, Sasuke. You're still a child. I never wanted you to worry about things like money."

"I know. I'm sorry for the things I said." He must really feel bad. This is the most he's talked in a polite manner in ages.

"It's okay, little brother. I'll always forgive you." I put a hand on his head, much like Minato-sensei used to do for me. "Do you know how I got here? I definitely fell asleep in the woods." I laughed a little.

"Kakashi-sensei brought you back." I nodded. Of course he did. He does too much. "We're leaving in a few minutes. I got to the top of the tree!"

"I'll get ready to go then. Good job! I knew you could!" I was proud of him. He managed an apology and to finish his training. He turned out okay, I guess. After he left the room, I got up and brushed my hair, putting it into a ponytail instead of a bun to keep it out of the way. I was already in my ninja clothes, minus my flack jacket, so I put that on, and made my way to meet everyone else. Naruto was staying home to rest, so it was just the four of us going. Sakura and Sasuke walked in front of us, and I could tell Sasuke was getting annoyed with her quickly. She wasn't flirting as aggressively as usual, but still pretty obnoxiously. I laughed at her. She might be the most confident girl I know.

"Feeling better?" Kakashi asked. I glanced up at him and he looked concerned for me.

"Much. Thanks for talking to him. You didn't have to do that. It's supposed to be my job."

"He's my student too. Part of teaching is teaching them how to be responsible and respectful." He shrugged nonchalantly.

"I guess. But I know that's not why you did it."

"Then why did I?" He teased.

"Because you care about us." I glanced at him and he was smirking under his mask. He could deny it all he wanted to, but he cared for Sasuke just as much as I did. I rolled my eyes and just kept walking.

When we got to the bridge, I instantly had a bad feeling. Something just didn't feel right. I looked around trying to find anything out of place.

"Kashi?"

"What?"

"Are those Tazuna's workers?" They were all laying on the ground, having been attacked. "I have a bad feeling about this." Mist started filling the bridge and my heart rate quickened. We were going to fight again.

"Zabuza." Kakashi said confidently, trying to draw him out.

"You guys protect Tazuna, just like we practiced." I told the kids.

"One is them is trembling." Zabuza laughed and clones appeared all around us. Great. Already off to a good start.

"Now Sasuke!" Kakashi instructed, and Sasuke attacked them all, getting rid of every single clone before going back to his formation.

The real Zabuza and the hunter-nin revealed themselves from the mist.

"Seems we were right." I said loud enough so only Kakashi could hear me. Sasuke immediately went after the hunter-nin, who I guess was named Haku. Sasuke was doing exceptionally well at keeping up, but I worried for him. I don't know if I could do my part in the fight if he got hurt.