Chapter 32

I woke up who knows how much later in the same field. Immediately, I saw Sakura looking troubled and trying to heal me. I coughed and looked around more. I saw Kakashi sitting with my head in his lap, looking concerned and upset. I was relieved to see that he was alive. After watching him die for three straight days, seeing him alive and not screaming was enough to make me want to cry.

"How are you feeling?" Sakura asked, concern in her eyes. My whole body felt tense. I flickered my eyes over to her, a little panicked and on edge. "I did my best to do what Lady Tsunade taught me, but I didn't do it as well as her." She shook her head. My face softened as I realized I was safe, and I grabbed her hand and held it.

"I'm alive and I'm not living that nightmare anymore. Thank you Sakura." I said, tears filling my eyes. Just remembering the screams from Kakashi and Sasuke would probably keep me awake for the foreseeable future. She nodded.

"Do you want to get up? We still have to meet Guy's team, but we can send you back to the Sand." Kakashi said, concerned. His hand was wrapped in my hair, stroking it gently. It was comforting.

"I'm not abandoning this mission. I'm fine, physically." I said. I was exhausted. But I was okay. I would not go running home because of Itachi. I would not let him win like that. It hurt like hell, but I could not let him see how much his torture effected me. I needed some water and some food pills and I'd be good as new. "Help me up?" He nodded and pushed me up into a sitting position.

"Mika-sensei, you don't have to push yourself. We can handle this, believe it!" I closed my eyes and tried to stay calm. I was still very on edge from the genjutsu, but Naruto didn't deserve for me to lash out. I know I can be hot headed, but now wasn't a good time for that to show.

"He's right. I have more experience than all of you. I'll keep them safe." Lady Chiyo tried to reassure. I shook my head. I was going on this mission. I knew Kakashi would let me, and he's the team captain. I always told him when I couldn't do something. He'd believe me. He had to.

"You really should rest. Even if you weren't out for long, you were in a coma." Sakura added. I sighed. So much for staying calm. I glared at her.

"Look, I just spent what felt like three days chained to a post, watching and listening as the two people I love most were tortured and killed over and over again, and I could do nothing." I snapped. Sakura's eyes went wide at my tone. It was much more angry than I intended, but I didn't care. I was angry. I was frustrated. I was scared. I needed time. I needed to forget it happened. "I am tired, yes. But I am fine, and I want to fight. Don't argue with me." They both nodded. I could tell by Lady Chiyo's face that she wasn't convinced I could do this, and my outburst certainly wasn't helping that view, but I could do it and I needed to.

"It's Kakashi's decision." Lady Chiyo shrugged.

"If you say you're fine, you're fine. We don't have time to debate it." He said sadly and got up from behind me. Naruto offered me a hand to get up, and I took it. Once I was up, I was immediately light headed and nauseous again. "Here's some water." Kakashi handed me his water bottle, and I took it. The water helped, but food pills were what I really needed. I pulled some out from my weapons pouch and ate a few, feeling even better.

"Okay, let's go!" I said, determined to take these people down. I was angry, and it would certainly help to punch a few things.

We ran for awhile, but I could tell that Naruto and I were slowing us down. Apparently Naruto used a really cool new jutsu while I was out, but it took a lot out of him. I was just exhausted. I could still hear the screams echoing in my ears, and I was fighting the whole time against my urge to break down. Realistically, I probably should have gone back to the Sand and recovered there, but I couldn't. I couldn't be alone. I couldn't let my team face this alone. I couldn't let Itachi get away again.