Chapter 30

"Mika-sensei?" Naruto asked with a mouth full of ramen. I rolled my eyes. I see his manners haven't improved. I hummed in response, finishing my bite before having to answer whatever question he had. "Your eyes changed pattern when you heard the shadow clone of Itachi speak. What was that?" He looked confused, and so did Sakura. They knew about the sharingan pretty well, but I guess we never told them about the mangekyo. It made sense. I have never had to use it around them. I activated it, so they could see the pattern again. Mine looked like three black circles overlapping each other over the red base. Kind of like a three way vinn diagram.

"This?" I clarified. Naruto nodded, intrigued by the weird shape my eyes now had. "It's called the mangekyo sharingan." I answered. "Kakashi, show them yours." I elbowed him. He rolled his visible eye at me, and then pushed his headband up, and activated his mangekyo, changing his eye pattern to look like a pinwheel.

"Wow! So, is it just a better version of the sharingan? Does Sasuke have it too?" Naruto asked, excitedly. I laughed a little at the wonder he had for it. I honestly never thought of it as a good thing. We had to go through so much pain to evolve it to this state, and then using it cost our eyesight. It didn't seem worth it to me.

"I don't think Sasuke has it." I started to explain. He hadn't been through enough pain since the massacre to achieve it.

"He tried to awaken it when he tried to kill you, Naruto." Kakashi explained. I nodded sadly, and Sakura looked shocked.

"How would that have activated it?" Sakura asked, confusion on her face.

"To awaken it, the user must kill their best friend." Both kids gasped, and I realized I said that wrongly. It wasn't the only way. "Or so the story goes." I tried to recover.

"But, I thought Kakashi was your best friend, ya know?" Naruto asked.  His face held his classic surprised look and I chuckled a little. Some things never change.

"He is. Killing your best friend isn't the only way. The user must experience the pain of losing someone that close to them, but they don't have to be the one to kill them." I explained, much better this time. Sakura seemed to get it, but Naruto still looked confused. "Mine activated for the first time when I found out about Itachi killing our parents. It was the worst pain I have ever felt." I said, my face turning into sadness at the memory. Naruto seemed to understand then.

"What about Kakashi-sensei? You have it too?" Kakashi nodded. I wasn't sure he would explain how he got his, and he didn't have to. Everyone knew of my pain and how I was connected to Itachi, but this generation didn't know about Rin.

"I watched one of my best friends kill herself during a mission." He said simply, pushing emotion out of his voice. I closed my eyes. That memory was always painful. Watching Rin die was one of the worst moments of my life, for sure. Naruto and Sakura just nodded, not looking for more explanation.

"So, does it do anything special?" Sakura asked. I nodded.

"I have three different abilities with mine. With one eye, I can use Amaterasu, which are black flames that are impossible to extinguish for seven days and nights." Both of their eyes went wide. "With the other, I can cast a genjutsu called kotoamatsukami. With it, I can control people, basically. It manipulates people's thoughts without them knowing. It also makes me basically unable to be caught in a genjutsu. I see through most of them if I have the mangekyo activated." Both of them gasped. I didn't know for sure, but I imagined that Itachi's genjutsus were the exception to that rule. Even when we were kids, he was better at them than I was, and that was a feat. I've always been a natural when it came to genjutsu, so for him to be better was actually amazing.

"You've never done that to us, have you?" Naruto looked very concerned. I just laughed.

"Of course not! I'd never use that unless I had no other choice!" I rolled my eyes. It seemed to reassure him.

"What about the third ability?" Sakura asked, looking intrigued.

"Apparently I have access to something called susanoo. It's an armor type thing. I haven't ever used it though, and I honestly don't know how to." I shrugged. From the reading I had done, my eyesight would deteriorate rapidly if I used it, so I never did. I wanted to keep my eyesight for as long as I could.

"What about you, Kakashi-sensei?" Sakura asked again.

"I have what's called Kamui. It allows me to transport things to another dimension." He shrugged. "I'm not proficient at it though." He shrugged again.

"Why not? All of those abilities are amazing! You should use them, believe it!" Naruto yelled. I rolled my eyes.

"Using the abilities comes at at price, Naruto." I shook my head at him. "The more we use them, the more it deteriorates our eyesight." Naruto's face softened.

"So you can't use them?" He asked.

"We can, but only if it's necessary. I'm not going to train to be proficient at something that will cost my eyesight." I shrugged. Both he and Sakura nodded in understanding.

"We should get going. Apparently Tsunade has a mission for us." Kakashi explained, looking bored already. I rolled my eyes, but followed him out after paying for the meal anyways. He was our team captain, even though I was perfectly capable of doing it. Tsunade thought his leadership skills were better though, so I didn't argue too much. Just enough that she agreed that if Kakashi was ever not able to go on a mission with us, I would be the team leader with a replacement jonin of her choice. I could agree that it was a fair deal.

I was halfway listening to what Tsunade was saying about our mission. She picked an easier one to ease us back into things, which was fine, I guess. We were more than capable of handling more, but I guess easing into it was a good choice.

"Lady Tsunade! The Sand has requested immediate assistance! Lord Kazekage has been kidnapped by the Akatsuki!" A jonin I didn't know yelled panickedly after bursting into the room. My eyes went wide. They kidnapped Gaara? This isn't good. They're on the move. We had to protect Naruto. Tsunade seemed to me thinking along the same lines as me, but her face was full of conflict. She wasn't going to send us, was she? Not with the danger to Naruto. It would be too risky.

"Team Kakashi, you will go to the Sand and retrieve information about the kidnapping, then assist where you can." Tsunade instructed. Usually, I would hold my tongue, and not argue with the Hokage, but really? Sending Naruto right into what could be a planned trap?

"Lady Tsunade, I don't think sending Naruto on this mission is-"

"I know, Mika." She interrupted me. "But it can't be helped. You're the only team left, and I won't send only three of you." She explained. "I'll send a back up team to help as soon as I can." She went into more detail. I nodded, knowing she was right. She wouldn't send Naruto on this mission unless she absolutely had to.

Kakashi instructed us to be ready at the gates in 30 minutes, so I ran home to pack my things, before heading to the gates.