Chapter 17

Hard bangs on his door broke him from his deep sleep.

"Come in!" He yelled.

Scared eyes of Alice and Margarite walked in. With a quick courtsey Margarite began to cry and twirl the front of her dress in her hands. Alice looked at Gavin and began to cry.

" Milord, she is gone." Naan held her hands to her chest.

Sitting up quickly and getting dressed, Gavin questioned them.

"Are you sure?" He stood.

"Aye, m'lord!" Naan hugged Margarite

"Your horse is gone," Haroun added walking through the door.

Looking at all of them, Gavin thought silently.

" She could have gone back  to Forsythe," he whispered.

With that thought he quickly walked out of his chambers with Haroun following him.

They walked to Brienna's  chamber to see if anything was taken. Or a clue to where she could have gone.

He turned to look about the chamber slowly his eyes roamed over her belongings that gave the room a feminine look. He touched the jewel encrusted comb that layed on a nearby table. His eyes wondered over her belonging then to the nearby trunk in the far corner, the light green piece of fabric called his attention to walk closer. He slowly lifted the lid and pulled the fabric out at arms length. His heart stopped. The billowing fabric that unfolded before him was a cloak.

A green colored cloak.

Shock and confusion raced through his mind at what he held in his hands.

Was his mind playing tricks on him? Why did she have this cloak?

The realization hit him in the gut of what this all meant and what on two occasions transpired between them. A breath lodged in his throat as he put the face of Brienna with that of the mysterious girl his stomach jumped at the idea of nearly making love to..Brienna!

Looking at Haroun his nose flared

"You find that little brat and bring her to me, " he yelled at him in anger before storming off to his solar.

Now alone his heart was filled with so much mixed emotions he could not understand. He lost his head over her. His heart raced with all that unfolded before him. Slowly he rose and walked to the nearby table and grabbed a canter of whiskey.

In large gulps he downed the strong drink to drown out his anger but, it only multiplied.  He sat at the edge of his chair with the cloak in his hand, closing his eyes he rested his hands on his head that began to throb. Swig after swig of the whiskey burned as it went down his throat until it was all gone but he felt no better. The soft rap at the door interrupted his thoughts. Looking up he saw Ian, his squire enter and nervously swallow before talking. He mentioned that Brienna was near the far walls not to far from the keep all along. Frightened by Gavins stare he stepped aside to let her through. He watched as Brienna entered, the look in her eyes as she spotted the cloak in his hands only increased his anger because she knew she was caught. Quickly her eyes focused on daggers of steel.

"Close the door," He demanded between clenched teeth.

His anger although under control made her tremble.

Her legs weak with fear began to wobble along with the clamoring of her heart. She wanted to run but, for fear he would catch her she could not. Turning she obeyed and closed the door where she continued to stand. Her mind swam searching for the words to explain herself, but nothing came to her.