Chapter 20

A wide grin from ear to ear stared mockingly at him as he entered his solar.

"Someone did not want to leave the marital bed this morn," Haroun teased.

"Yes, laugh at my expense brother, I will be sure to do the same when you are in the company of a most willing maiden," he returned the teasing smile.

With a chuckle Haroun raised his hands in a surrendering gesture before standing to hand Gavin the letter from the king.

Gavin took it and looked at it.

Looking up at Haroun, he breathed and turned his attention to the seal and slowly broke it. He opened the letter and silently read it and scowled. Haroun anxiously waited for him to finish.

Gavin cursed and scrunched up the letter, angrily tossing it to the ground. He paused for a bit, raking his hands through his hair, he faced Haroun.

"The king wants me at court," He looked at Haroun.

"He needs my assistance with fighting the raidors on the border lands. I am to bring a handful of my best men," he breathed.

Haroun bent to pick up the letter.

"When does he expect us?" Haroun asked straightening the crumpled letter.

"I must leave now in order to get there in two days time."

Haroun nodded.

Silently Gavin stood there staring at Haroun.

"I need a favor from you Haroun," Gavin asked.

Silently Haroun waited for him to speak.

"I would not ask it if it wasn't important, you know that," Gavin struggled with asking Haroun.

Before Gavin could blurt it out, Haroun chuckled and nodded his head.

"Do not worry, I will stay here and keep an eye on Brienna," Haroun smiled.

Relieved by Harouns answer, he wiped his hands down his face with a worried glance at his good friend he sighed.

"Now to break this bit of news to my wife," Gavin blew out a quick breath.

With a reasurring smile and chuckle Haroun watched Gavin turn and leave.

******

The steaming water warmed her down to her bones. She sat in the tub filled with fragrant water, hugging her knees to her chest. She listened to Naan croon and talk softly as if to console her after she saw the blood on the sheets. She averted her gaze not wanting to look at Naan as her eyes filled with tears.  Shaking her head, Naan gasped with a sad frown whispering under her breath as she pulled the sheets off the bed.

If she only knew the blood was not mine.

Naan washed her hair and combed it,  she let her sit in the tub a little while longer while she changed the sheets and straightened up the room. Brienna layed her head on her arm and smiled to herself.  She closed her eyes, remembering all what she and Gavin did. The way he touched her and kissed her. She slowly leaned her head back, resting in the glorious warmth of the water.

Silver eyes watched her from the entrance door. He watched as the servants scurried out silently when his presence was known. Naan wagged her finger at him, giving him  a warning glare as he entered. He regarded the old nurse maid with a shy smile that softened her scowl a bit.

Alone now, he entered and soflty closed the door.  He walked over to the tub behind her and sat on the stool Naan used.

He reached for the comb where it was left and began to softly comb her hair.