Chapter 34

It was nightfall when she neared the courtyard. She knelt before a large boulder and watched the armed guards walk and survey the area.

She observed the lapse of security at certain intervals as some men took off into the greathall and others sat around and drank. The few guards that did walk around did so poorly by walking off to the far end leaving the entrance alone for a brief moment.

Slowly she bent and crouched low. Her heart pummeled in her chest when finally she had the chance in her favor. As fast as she could, she ran through the entrance and stuck to the shadows of the outer walls. The keep itself as she could see was indeed a crumpled mess.

The hearty laugh of two men followed by a soft scream came from the sides of the greathall entrance. The soft cry and plea from a girl was followed by a gruff curse after another voice told him to go stand watch and leave her.

She watched as the guard shoved her to the floor angrily as the other followed him leaving her there.

Looking both ways she felt sorry for her and walked quickly through the darkened courtyard to her side and helped her up.

The poor girl yelped in fright and pulled away.

Immediately Brienna pulled her back down and clamped her hands over the girls mouth.

"Shhh!!!, please I won't hurt you," she blurted out in a nervous whisper.

Slowly she felt the girls tenseness ease.

"I mean you no harm, I need you not to scream, do you promise?" she asked.

The girl slowly nodded.

Relieved Brienna sat before the girl.

"Mm..my name is Brienna Du'Montclief, I am the daughter of the late..." she trailed of as the young girl gasped and inched closer.

"You're the late Barons daughter!" she leaned forward as if observing a woodsprite.

Frowning Brienna inched away from the girls gaze.

Quickly she regained some composure and averted her gaze apologetically.

"Forgive me m'lady for being so direct," she whispered.

Brienna's heart sank.

"How do you know me?" Brienna questioned.

With a hesitating stare the young girl looked around and leaned closer.

"I lived in the village near the outer walls of Forsythe. My father tended to the Barons lands and livestock" she spoke softly.

"The day of the attack they entered the village as well and killed most of the men and kept the woman and children.  Mostly the younger girls were taken by his men and brought here to .....serve them," she lowered her head in shame.

Brienna shook her head at the horror and reached out to hold her hand.

"What is your name?" she asked her.

She looked at her with a shy smile.

"My name is Rowena," she whispered.

With a squeeze and nod of her head Brienna inched closer.

"Rowena I need you to listen closely, I need your help," Brienna spoke low.

"I need you to bring me servants clothing or anything that can make my appearance seem like I belong here."

Confused Rowena leaned closer.

"Aye, but mistress whatever for?"

"I need to change out of these clothes, these guards will know I don't belong here."