C H A P T E R S E V E N***

Song: Miss You Bad by Mr. Eazi & Burna Boy

SOMETHING WAS WRONG

SOMETHING WAS WRONG. Xante had never felt this creeping feeling that he identified as guilt for a woman before. Sitting in his office, he tried dialing Chidinma's number again. Voicemail. For the past two weeks, the only way Chidinma contacted him was through emails and in those short emails, he was only told the details of the wedding planning.

That night at the club, Xante wanted to tell her that he wasn't going to Angela's house, he was going to Angela's father's house for him to keep his daughter on a tight leash. Spanish Mafia connection or not, he wasn't going to risk his contract with Chidinma for an undisciplined woman.

Xante did not know why Chidinma was insecure about her body. She was the most beautiful woman he'd ever laid eyes on. And it was not her physical features but her emotional features that made her so beautiful. In a city where fake lifestyles were incredibly popular, she was kind, humble, funny, patient and incredibly real. He also never thought he would miss her snarky remarks and overconfident attitude, but he did. Xante did not want anyone else to be his wife.

"Sir? Are you okay sir?" His assistant Samuel asked. Xante looked up at his assistant, rubbing his temples.

"No, Samuel. Shut the door and sit,"

Samuel did so and sat in front of his boss, a worried expression on his face. If Xante was Samuel, he would have been worried as well. The bags under his eyes. The hair in disarray. The hollow eyes. He would have been terrified.

"There is a chance that I messed up my relationship with my fiancée for someone who was the past. How do I fix it?" Xante asked his astounded assistant, who folded his tattooed arms with his white tee and blue jeans. Samuel furrowed his thick brows as he thought of an answer that would keep his job.

Samuel's father had been the assistant of Xante's grandfather and Xante had made him a promise to keep his family off the streets. Samuel was very aware of Xante's involvement in the Mafia and the Delianos had offered him complete protection of the gangs the rest of his extended family were deeply rooted in the Bay area. While Samuel was Xante's assistant, Omarion took his 17-year-old brother under his wing and Tini made his younger sister her assistant.

"I think she just needs to know that she is the future. Sometimes, even though we guys know that the women in our lives mean more than the past ones, we need to tell and reassure them," Samuel answered wisely and Xante nodded and waved for him to leave.

After a while of just trying to concentrate on work, and failing, Xante entered his Rolls Royce and drove to the hospital to see Chidinma in person and talk. To get her to stop making him feel so terrible, because whatever she was doing, it was working. When he arrived, he went up to the front desk and asked for Chidinma.

Xante was told that she was on-call and he roamed impatiently for her to be on her next break. Fortunately, after 5 minutes, Xante heard her beautiful laughter come out of two sets of doors along with a few other voices. He looked up hopefully and when he saw her puffy Afro and a huge smile, those annoying butterflies resumed station in his stomach.