One Step Forward

Phana's POV

When I asked Yo if he wanted a ride home, I didn't expect to have to fight with Ming for the opportunity. After what Ming said, I realized that he already knew what a jerk I'd been this morning and embarrassment flooded me. Yo walked out to my car with me and I held the door open for him.

"Thanks, P'Pha," Yo said, sitting inside.

I stopped short for just a moment. That was the first time he'd called me by my name. I stared at him, savoring the moment, until he cleared his throat.

"How was practice today?" I asked.

Yo didn't answer and I looked over to see him busy texting someone on his phone and smiling to himself.

"Arranging your schedule? You must have a lot of dates," I said, feeling jealous.

"Not really," he said, looking over at me in confusion.

"I think you do," I couldn't help pushing, I want him to say he's single. "N'Ming, Ai'Forth, that guy you're always on the phone with."

"I suppose that might be how it looks, to people who don't know me," Yo said. Shit.

We made it to the dorms and I followed Yo up to his room instead of stopping at my own floor. Yo looked at me oddly, but didn't say anything. I wanted to spend more time with him. I knew he had no reason to let me in, but I wanted to be invited into his room.

"I need you to wake me up in the morning," I said. Getting closer, I hoped he'd give way so I could step inside his room. "Are you done packing?"

"Don't you have an alarm?" Yo asked, not moving from his position in front of the door.

"Yes, but I have a hard time getting up if I don't have classes," I said, coming up with a good excuse. I looked into his room, trying to edge my way inside, "Do you want me to check your bags?"

"Don't worry, P'Pha. I've got it covered," Yo said, blocking my entrance. "I'll wake you up at 8 AM, so you'll have time to get ready."

"Okay, thanks N'Yo," I said, giving up. He obviously wanted to sleep, so I wasn't getting into his room tonight. "I'll give you a ride in the morning."

"It's okay, Ai'Ming will pick me up," Yo said. "You only have two seats and P'Pring might need a ride."

Shit again. I can't seem to catch a break.

"Ai'Pring isn't coming," I said hurriedly. "I'll take you."

Yo looked at me for a moment, probably wondering if he could trust me to do what I promised. So far, everything I've done has left a bad impression, so I'm sure it will take some time for me to show him that I meant what I said.

"Okay, P'Pha," Yo finally said. He looked unconvinced, but I would prove I could be trusted.

"Okay, see you in the morning," I said, happy with my small victory. He closed the door and I walked back down to my room.

 He closed the door and I walked back down to my room

Yo's POV

When I finally got home, I took a quick shower and finished my packing. Then I took the pictures out of my backpack and looked at them closely. I had two pictures of Pha left on my Wall of Shame. I knew it was time I took them down, but it was still painful to give up on something that had been so important to me for such a long time.

I took the two frames down, removed the backs, and pulled out my remaining pictures of Pha. I stared at them for a few more minutes, thinking. Pha hadn't been as unkind to me for the last couple of days, but I didn't even want to remember his behavior before that. He was rude, condescending, and even a little violent. I know Joss shouldn't have been yelling at him that night, but Pha kind of deserved it.

Since I'd come to the university, I'd forgiven Pha for his bad behavior because I never thought it was important if he ever liked me back. I know I'll keep forgiving him, that's the kind of person I want to be, but I'm not going to continue chasing someone that just ends up making me unhappy.

The picture of my fairy angels and the picture of my friends, Suthee, Nate, and Ming, go into the two empty frames. I stared at the last two pictures of Pha. I knew I would regret keeping them, but I couldn't help myself. I put them under the grey box that contained the bracelet I'd bought for Pha back in high school. I wasn't ready to throw them away just yet.

 I wasn't ready to throw them away just yet

Ming's POV

I'm taking selfies with some of the stars in front of the bus when I notice Kit and Beam watching me. I walk over to them, taking my opportunity to talk to Kit before Pha gets here.

"Hey P's," I said, flashing them my best smile.

"Hey," Beam replied, "do you know where Ai'Pha and N'Yo are?"

"Probably making babies," I joked. "Ai'Yo told me that P'Pha was going to drive him today. Not actually sure if P'Pha will show up, since he's never kept his word before."

"If he said he'll drive N'Yo, then he will," Kit said, looking annoyed.

"I guess we'll see," I said. I didn't want to fight with Kit about it, but I didn't trust Pha as far as I could throw him.

"If you're dating N'Yo, you could have picked him up this morning," Kit said. "You didn't have to let Ai'Pha take him."

"P'KitKat, if you want to know if I'm single, you should just ask," I said, smiling at Kit. I wanted him to smile at me, I loved his dimples, but he just looked back at me, still annoyed.

"My name isn't KitKat," Kit said, frowning.

Yo and Pha showed up at that moment, and Yo walked over to me, "Ming, you got here early."

"You were almost late," I replied, taking his bag. "Did you get everything packed? There are some things we're going to need, you know."

"Of course," Yo said. "Don't worry, I didn't forget anything."

Yo always forgot his motion sickness medicine and I already knew he was going to have a hard time in the bus. I opened his bag, intending to double check when he said, "Ming, I told you I didn't forget."

His face went pink with embarrassment. Yo hated when I treated him like a little kid. We walked over to the bus, he grabbed his pills and put them in his pocket before I put his bag away in the luggage compartment. We climbed on the bus, picking a seat in the front, hoping that would help.