Two Steps Back

Yo's POV

As soon as I got back to the hotel, I'd found Forth and practically demanded that he take us home immediately. Now we were sitting quietly in the car, both Ming and Forth looking at me with concerned expressions. I was so angry at Pha that I'd taken it out on Forth and Ming. It wasn't fair and it wasn't okay. I was ashamed of myself.

I don't even know why I was so angry. I'd already accepted that Pha was never going to love me, hadn't I? Even after the strange way he'd spoken to me yesterday, I hadn't allowed myself to hope. Had I allowed myself to hope? Shit. Maybe I had.

My phone notified me of a new LINE message and I looked down to see a friend request from Pha. I couldn't help smiling at the irony of the situation. I had always hoped for Pha to send me a friend request, and just as I was realizing that I couldn't even be friends with him, he had finally done it.

I'm not naturally a rude person who rejects an honest offer of friendship, but a LINE request wasn't exactly that, so I ignored it. A moment later, Pha sent a picture. It was a photo of the card I made him, the one I had dropped when I went to confess to him on his last day of high school.

When Pha told me that Forth liked me, I thought he was just helping out his friend. But it still hurt so much and I said something that made my feelings for him much too obvious.

When he sent me a picture of my own note to him, I knew he was laughing at me. He said it himself when we were in high school. He liked girls. The thought of being with a guy gave him the creeps. I am such a fool. I turned off my phone, determined to ignore Pha and his hurtful games.

Suddenly I couldn't control myself, and I burst out laughing. Maybe I was laughing at myself. Maybe I was laughing at my hopeless one-sided love. Maybe I was laughing at the whole situation. Either way, laughing is better than crying. Laughing eased the pain. Forth and Ming were looking at me strangely.

"I'm sorry," I said, my laughter lightening my mood. "I was being a jerk. Can you forgive me?"

Ming looked at me from the back seat with understanding. He always knew what was in my heart, and he always supported me. Forth put his hand on my shoulder from the driver's seat, offering me his friendship in his effortless way. I have the best friends in the world.

 I have the best friends in the world

Phana's POV

Yo ignored my friend request and didn't respond to any of my messages. I was just going to have to find him in person. We went to the drop off point and waited. The bus had already pulled up and the freshman were streaming out, but I didn't see the car Forth was driving.

We waited for a few minutes, and eventually they pulled up. I walked over to the car, hoping to find Yo, but when I looked inside, Yo was already gone.

"N'Ming, have you seen N'Yo?" I asked.

"He was right here," Ming said. I looked past the car and saw Yo walking across the grass, carrying his bag.