Liar, Liar

Ming's POV

I was planning to go to Forth's tonight for drinks, but I was hoping to get some alone time with Kit. I was definitely interested in him, but so far we'd barely spent any time together. I had a plan though, so I needed to enlist Yo's help.

"Yo, what do you think of P'Kit?" I asked.

"He's really nice," Yo said. "Why are you asking me?"

"I like him, and I want to get to know him better," I said. "So I have to make sure my best friend approves."

"If I don't approve, you won't go out with him?" Yo asked, looking at me curiously. "If you like him, why does my opinion matter?"

"You're my best friend," I said, explaining my feelings. "If you don't like him, then my relationship with him or my relationship with you would be weird, I don't want that."

"I'm always going to like anyone that makes you happy," Yo said, looking at me seriously. "No matter what happens, I'm on your side."

"Thanks, best friend!" I said, smiling happily. "Now, I need your help getting P'Kit to like me."

After teasing me mercilessly, Yo finally gave in and did what I asked. He sent a text to P'Kit asking him to go with me to buy snacks, saying he was trying to rest after being sick and didn't want me to go alone. Pha wasn't back, so it sounded reasonable to me.

I stopped at Kit's room and he came out right away, accepting Yo's explanation. We walked to the convenience store and picked up some snacks. On the way back I asked him to stop with me for a minute and watch the ocean. I thought it sounded like a romantic idea, and he didn't complain. We sat watching the water for awhile. I wanted to ask for his phone number, but I wasn't sure he would give it to me. He seemed a little grumpy and I didn't know if it was because he didn't like me or because he was just having a bad day.

"I dropped my phone," I said, coming up with a plan to get his number. "Would you call it?"

He handed me his phone and I dialed my number, waiting for the ring before pulling it out of my pocket. Feigning surprise I said, "It was right here all along."

"Seriously," Kit said, annoyed. "Did you just lie to get my number?"

"No! Well, yes," I said, trying to explain. "I wanted to ask for your number, but I wasn't sure if you would give it to me."

"I don't like liars," Kit said, standing up to leave. "Don't follow me, I don't want to talk to you right now."

I looked down at the beach, still holding on to my phone. I didn't know what to do, I never expected that my little pretense would turn out so badly.