Chapter 3: Shorts

POV: Jami

I walked in the front door of my house "Mom, Dad im home" I shouted before walking up the stairs to my room. My house was on the smaller side but it was comfortable for just the 3 of us. When you walk in the front door you're greeted by our homey living room that has a giant dark brown leather couch and a grey and green rug rug. There were stairs to the left of the living room that went upstairs to the bed rooms. And to the right of the living room was the kitchen and dining room.

Once I got up the stairs I threw my purple book bag on the floor, changed out of my modified school uniform and just flopped onto my full sized bed. "I did over do it a bit" I thought to myself as I looked up at the ceiling. I lift my hand in front of my face and notice that It's shaking "well isn't that just great." I think sarcastically to myself.

"Note to self: Don't teleport a lot of things at once for a while so my nerves calm down." I look at my phone and see that I still have 20 minutes before I need to be down stairs for our family dinner, so I decide to take a nap.

"Jami!, Dinners ready Honey come on down" mom calls from the stairs. "I'm coming" I grumble as I sit up from my comfortable position on my bed and slowly make my way down the wooden stairs. I see my dad setting the table as I walk into the small dining room. "Welcome back from France dad" I say with a small smile as I walk over and give him a big hug. "Glad to be home" he says while returning the hug back to me.

We all sat down and started eating the orange glaze chicken and rice my mom made for us. "Camille, This is absolutely scrumdiddlyumptious" My dad said while scarfing more food into his mouth like an animal. "I'm glad you're enjoying it dear.... But if you don't start eating with some table manners i'm gonna shove these chopsticks down your throat." my mom threatened with a closed eyed smile. Dad and I both sweat drop before sitting up straight and start eating like we're in a fancy restaurant being held at gunpoint. Mom and Dad chatted about dad's trip in France for a little bit. Dad was a Bodyguard for higher, because his quirk allowed him to see everything that was happening on a specific subject he was quite popular and very good at his job. But I zoned out lost in thought about what my parents were expecting me to do with my life, I didn't know if they would approve of me wanting to be a hero. But I guess i'll find out soon enough. I was shaken from my thoughts when my mother called my name. "Jami, Your father and I have been thinking about what good options you have as you go into high school and what you should pursue as an adult....." my mother said with a smile. "Your mother.." "WE" my mother cut my father off before allowing him to continue "right, WE think you should start training to be a bodyguard like me, your ability to teleport would come in handy and could keep anything or anyone safe if you set your mind to it." my dad finished with a smile. "Yes yes, and your father would be there to help you along the way and keep you safe" my mother says looking me in the eye. " So what do you think, Jami?" my father asked with hope in his eyes. "Ummmmmmm, well being a Bodyguard could be fun i suppose ...." I trail off not knowing how to tell them I want to be a hero. "YES! I knew you would like it, we can go look around my office and I can introduce you to all my co-workers and my friends in higher places that could give you a hand." My dad started to ramble about all the fun I was going to have and how he was going to be so proud of me when I became a top Bodyguard. "Um dad" I mumbled but he didn't hear me. "Dad" I try again this time with more force in my voice, but he still doesn't hear me. "DAD" I say loudly raising my voice loud enough to make an impact but not so much that I'm yelling. "What is it Hon?" my dad says confused. I take a breath before continuing. "Im sorry dad but I don't wanna be a bodyguard." I started but was caught off before I could say more. "Honey just give it a try you don't know if you want to be something if you don't try it." my dad says with the hop drawing from his face. "True I don't know if i'll like something till I don't try it but.... But I....." I stop mid sentence trying to gather the words as my parents look at me in confusion. "You wanna what Honey?" my mom says gently. I take a deep breath and continue "I want to be a hero!" I say with my head held high looking my mother dead in the eyes, looking for any signs of anger or worry. There was silence around the table after I spoke for a moment before my dad finally spoke up, "so you wanna be a hero kid?" he says stone faced while looking me dead in the eye. I couldn't read his expression, and it worried me. I knew they may not expect it and they may be disappointed that I don't wanna be a bodyguard but I didn't think they would be angry with me. "Yes... yes I do" I say while making contact with my dad. "Why didn't you tell us sooner!" My dad said, smiling. "You're not upset?" I say slightly confused after my dad looked at me with such intensity. "Of course not Honey, we just want you to pursue something that will keep you happy, and if saving people is what you want to do then do it." My mom said with a smile. Relief flooded through my body as I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in. "Being a hero is like a Bodyguard to everyone," my dad says, thoughtfully. "so how can I not support you?!" he continues "And since you wanna be a hero that means you wanna go to UA right?" my mom asks with a cheeky grin on her face. "Well ya, it's the best of the best right?" I reply. "Well if you wanna go there you're gonna need to train" my dad says while smirking.