Ch. 6 - Confirmation

Song: River Of Tears by Alessia Cara
Words: 1592
Published: May 29th, 2020
Third Person POV
Rayna

Rayna woke up at 6 o'clock on her bedroom floor Monday morning with a hangover. She changed, showered, took some ibuprofen, cleaned the house, and made breakfast. She may have been drinking and didn't get back into her room until 3 in the morning, but her body still knows when to wake up to not get killed.

Everyone's getting used to the summer schedule. Jake is no where to be seen, probably at the Pack House or some girls house in someone else's bed. Jayce is at the pack house, as per usual, and Jamie wakes up between eight and ten every morning, alternating between home and Hazel's every day or two.

Johnathan is always up at 7:30 to head to his office at 8:00. He woke up earlier during the school year just to have Rayna make breakfast for him. The smell of pancakes and French toast gets Jamie out of bed earlier than usual this morning.

Once Johnathan leaves, Jamie spots her as she wolfs down half a pancake and a piece of French toast. (Pun very much intended.)

Rayna spends the rest of the morning completing the list of chores Johnathan left for her. She wonders how long it takes for him to write these out nearly every day, and why he feels the need to put that much effort into making her life hell.

Regardless, she's nearly done by noon.

She jumps in the middle of sweeping when the door opens without a knock. She half expects to see Jake coming in to take his anger out on her or Johnathan to beat her for not being finished yet. Instead, it's Danny.

He looks frantic. She can smell the sweat on his palms. His eyes are darting around. He's shaking.

"Is Jayce here?" he asks her.

She shakes her head. "I don't think so. I- I've been out here all morning and h- haven't seen him. Is he okay?"

Danny pauses and gives her a weird look.

"After all he's done to you, you care about him?" he asks. She looks towards the ground, holding the broom tightly.

"Y- Yeah. He's- He's still my br- brother."

She looks up to see Danny giving her a small smile. At first it's pure happiness. Then it changes to a sad smile.

"Your heart's too big, Rayna," he tells her before heading back out the front door.

She stands there, confused.

*~*~*~*

A half hour later, Jayce stumbles in through the back door. Rayna was putting her supplies away when he collapses on the floor.

"Jayce!" she exclaims, rushing over. He gets onto his knees. She doesn't see any visible injuries. Suddenly, she realizes his scent. He's in heat. His clothes are drenched in sweat.

"Oh, goddess, Jayce. Please, let me help you," she says softly. She helps him up and over to the bathroom. She locks the door behind her and helps Jayce take most of his clothes off. She makes sure his boxers stay on. She runs out to grab an ice pack. She hands it to him and starts filling up the bath with cold water.