Ch. 28 - Training

Song: Another Sad Love Song by Khalid
Words: 1806
Published: August 6th, 2020
Third Person POV
Rayna

Rayna sits outside in the castle garden where she can hear the small stream running just beyond the tree hedges. Birds chirp and a slight breeze shifts her long, wavy brown hair every now and then.

She lets her mind wander, and it ends up all the way back at her old pack.

Harley knows about everything Johnathan has done to her: so, what is he going to do? Actually, what has he already done? Rayna knows that he won't just let Johnathan get away with it—he's too protective. She'll have to ask about that later . . .

What about her brothers?

Did Jayce get caught during his heat? If so, what happened to him? Are Jamie and Hazel still okay? Has Jake changed at all?

Her heart sinks.

What if Johnathan found someone else, now that she isn't there?

*~*~*~*

Rayna spends an entire hour in the garden. Then, Harley calls Rayna into his office.

"Yeah?" she asks, walking inside and closing the door behind her.

"C'mere," Harley says, holding out his arms.

Rayna walks over, smiling. Harley pulls her onto his lap, making her straddle him, and places his hands on her hips and kisses the mark on her neck.

She moans involuntarily.

Then, her eyes widen, and her heart beats fast.

Rayna pulls away and gets off of Harley, making him raise an eyebrow. She breathes heavily, and her body shakes as she backs up against his desk. She grips it tightly.

"Mate? What's wrong?" he asks, visibly concerned.

"The- The rogues," she stutters. Her eyes flicker around. "What- What if they come back?"

He realizes why she's freaking out. So far, every time the rogues have attacked, the two of them were alone together and in their own world. Not to mention her past with rogues having killed her mom. She probably blames herself for all of this.

"Hey, hey," he says softly. He stands up and steps towards her. "It's gonna be okay, okay?" He cups her face, making her look up at him. He gives her a small smile. "The worst that has happened so far is a warrior being hospitalized for a week. Besides, the rogues haven't said a word to us, so they could be attacking for any reason."

He wraps her into a hug, but she tenses.

"Everyone's okay. It isn't your fault, baby," he reiterates. He rubs her arms. "You can relax."

Rayna slightly nods and softly hugs Harley back before pulling away.

"O- Okay . . . Wh- Why'd you call me here?" she asks.

"Oh, right."

He sits back down, and she stands behind his chair.

"We can start your training tomorrow if you'd like. I'm thinking that your teacher will be Freya Knight. She is a very skilled warrior, and one of the packs best trainers by far. She can be a bit tough, but I don't think she's anything you can't handle."