Ch. 13 - Tired

Song: im sad. by eli.
Words: 2098
Published: June 22nd, 2020
Third Person POV
Rayna

After all that, spending the entire afternoon figuring out the tablet, eating supper, and giving Naomi a bunch of temporary tattoos, Rayna is exhausted. The clock reads 9:19 P.M. She's laying in bed with the TV on, but she doesn't listen to it. Harley walks in from the bathroom dressed in a white muscle shirt and grey sweatpants. His hair is wet, showing that he just showered.

"You seem tired," he observes out loud. She numbly nods. "You should get ready for bed."

She sits up and walks over to the closet without a word. She swayed a bit as she walked, her legs ready to give out. She grabs a pair of pajamas from the closet before walking into the bathroom. She takes a quick shower, not bothering with her hair, and gets dressed. She brushes her teeth, ties back her hair, and steps out, throwing her clothes into the hamper in the bathroom—which had a shower, bathtub, and two sink counter.

She crawls back into bed, utterly exhausted. Harley notices. He turns off his phone, the TV, and then his lamp, crawling under the covers even though he wasn't all too tired. She lazily turns off her lamp and plugs in her phone before resting her head on the pillow.

The clock reads 10:42 P.M. before Rayna knows it, and she still hasn't been able to fall asleep.

She groans quietly and sits up, moving slowly as to not wake Harley. She walks around the bed to the bedroom door and leaves the room. Maybe some fresh air will tire her. She walks down the stairs to where the balcony is. She steps out and shivers as the cold night air wraps around her. It wouldn't affect most werewolves with their amazing body heat, but Rayna isn't as strong as most werewolves. She was only wearing her hoodie, a sports bra, underwear, and pajama shorts. No socks or shirt or pants.

The balcony was a square. There was a grill, a couch, some chairs, a table. Rayna takes a chair and pulls it up to the side of the balcony. She sits down, breathing in deeply and looking out at the treetops that she was now eye-level with. Some wolves howl in the distance, seemingly having gotten a catch.

Rayna just sits there for a few minutes, staring into space and thinking.

She's brought out of her thoughts when the door to the balcony opens. She turns, and Harley is there. He calmly walks over and pulls up a chair next to Rayna.

"What are you doing out here?" he asks.

"I can't sleep," she whispers.

"Do you have insomnia?"

She shakes her head.

They're silent for a few moments. Rayna sighs.

"I miss my mom," she mumbles. Harley reaches over and holds her hand. She clutches onto him.

"Would you like to talk about her?" he asks softly.

"She's the one who saved me. She found me. She brought me into the family. She loved me . . ."

Rayna gulps harshly.

"I- I was fourteen. Th- The two of us were on a walk, l- like we always took, b- b- but that time . . . something went wrong."