5, surprises.

"Y/n, don't be late!" Her mother called, pressing breakfast into her hand as y/n pulled on her shoes and sped off, leaving the front door wide open for her exasperated parent to close. The morning air was crisp and clean, smelling of apples and fresh rainwater. Traffic was yet to rise, people like her father having only just left the house.

She spotted other students and classmates on their way, and she greeted them warmly before noticing a trio of boys just up ahead: Suna, Atsumu, and Osamu. They seemed to be in deep discussion, unaware of their surroundings, and a mischievous grin crept onto her face.

"Hey guys!" Y/n popped up between Atsumu and Suna, startling the shit out of them as they didn't hear her coming. Suna just jolted slightly and proceeded to glare at her while Atsumu, much to the other's amusement, full on yelled.

Osamu and Suna snickered, "I didn't know you were so jumpy Tsumu." 

Atsumu glared at y/n, "I dropped my breakfast." He pointed to the stick of tamagoyaki on the ground, pouting. 

"Oh sorry, you can have mine." Y/n couldn't hold in the amusement bubbling up as she handed him the neatly wrapped onigiri. Her laughter spread rapidly around the group, even Suna found himself grinning until his cheeks ached with the effort.

"No way, this is really good onigiri." Atsumu stressed upon taking a mouthful and y/n smiled softly. She blinked roughly as her mind flashed the sudden memory of a young woman with cold eyes and a warm smile, a snake head embroidered on her team jacket as she gently stroked a younger y/n's hair.

"Thanks, my friend taught me how to cook." Y/n replied gratefully. Akari, he likes your cooking! I could never make it the way you did though, but I promise I'll keep practicing.

Obviously at the mention of really good food, Osamu immediately snatched the onigiri from his brother's hands, taking off a good quarter in one bite much to Atsumu's despair. Suna and y/n snickered and left them to quarrel in the back, where he decided to ask her while they had a brief moment of privacy.

"If you don't mind talking about it, what happened to your eye?"

Taken aback by his inquiry, her hand rose instinctively to her left eye which was artfully disguised through contacts and light makeup. The wound had been dealt by a shard of glass, cutting deep and barely grazing her eyeball. Y/n reflected quietly, remembering the horrific gasp that had escaped her lips when she saw herself, and a tiny stab of guilt reminded her that Kenta had once been far worse. He'd lost a good chunk of skin in his jaw and above his left eyebrow, a bit of his tongue and a couple teeth. Though unlike her, his wounds were numerous but shallow, and he'd been deemed qualified to cover his scars through cosmetic surgery. Still, his stubbornness had insisted the doctors leave a couple of the marks on his face so that she wouldn't feel lonely. The memory made her smile a little. Knowing that Kenta had always been conscious of his image, his small act of love spoke volumes to her. "How did you know?" 

Suna shrugged, "I didn't, it just looked a little...different from your other one. Like it's obvious you're wearing contacts and covering something up, does that make sense?"

Surprised that he had been noticing so many little features of her, y/n didn't really know what to say. "Oh, there was....an accident I guess."

"Ah, well don't worry about it. If you don't wanna talk, I won't ask." 

Y/n sighed gratefully.

"What's it like being blind in one eye?"

She shrugged, obviously he had another question following right after. "I'm not entirely blind, my vision is just worse in my left, I can see but it's really really blurry, luckily it doesn't really affect me anymore though. My depth perception was awful at first but I've been working on adapting to that. Mostly I just make up for my limited field of vision with my other senses. It's nice that you guys walk on my right side though, where I can see you."