7, just watch.

Y/n settled herself on the bench, ignoring the piercing gazes of the players around her. Kenta made a surprisingly good coach, he was patient and direct, but what surprised her more were the players. Y/n knew the twins were good, but the caliber of their performance impressed even her and the sight of them was almost addicting, they were so perfectly in sync despite the constant arguing during school. 

And Suna, his style of blocking was so unique and in truth, when he played y/n couldn't help but see another dark haired middle blocker in place of him. They didn't look or act alike, Nakamura was a little like Atsumu: outgoing, ambitious and popular but he had a terrifying calm on the court. Both had piercing eyes but Suna's were light and his were dark, Nakamura's hair was a bit shorter and he wasn't as tall as Suna. Still, there was something about the two boys that made her feel as though they were two sides of one person.

Kenta glanced over at y/n, her face showed no trace of expression but he could tell she was watching closely, and she was fascinated. 

'Keep watching. Please wish that you were the one digging out that spike instead of Akagi, please remember the way your hand stings after a good spike, please feel the urge to get on that court and play.'

He knew, she could take this team, any team, further than he ever could. He loved volleyball with all his heart but no one could match the fire that once burned inside y/n. He knew that flame could be rekindled if she just took one look at herself and realized that unlike him, she could get back on that court and keep going. 

After practice, y/n stayed behind to help them clean the gym. She was quiet the entire time but when she approached him Kenta already knew what she was going to say.

"You're trying to get me to play again, I know."

Kenta didn't say anything, he was keenly aware of a boy waiting for her by the gym doors. Suna Rintarou, how unfortunate for her to move so far away to escape only to meet someone with that name. Kenta didn't really know whether he liked Suna or not, he wasn't the most outgoing or committed, but he was skillful and quick-witted. It seemed that he and y/n were good friends, though he amused himself with the fact that neither of them noticed the way they looked at each other. For now, Kenta decided that he wouldn't speak to Suna, not yet, he wanted to see what kind of person Suna was first.

"Come to the next practice, just watch." Kenta smiled and ruffled her hair, "I'll finish up here, you and Suna can head home, it's getting dark."

"Where are you staying?"

"Oh, my mom helped me set up a place a couple blocks down from yours."

Y/n smiled gently and left to join the middle blocker by the doors. Suna looked back, locking eyes with Kenta and for a moment Kenta felt the breath leave him. For a split second, the tall middle blocker was replaced by a similar looking brunette grinning back at him, dark eyes gleaming mischievously, the number 2 blazed on his jersey. Kenta blinked again and both boys were gone, one down memory lane and the other down the street, listening to y/n talk about a movie she liked.

"It still hurts, doesn't it?" The coach murmured softly, placing a rough calloused hand on Kenta's shoulder.

The golden haired outside said nothing as he turned to pack up his things, he had wanted to deny but the growing lump in his throat and the pain in his chest said otherwise. 

It does hurt, but what hurts more is the thought of what will inevitably happen if I let myself go this early. Despite losing everyone, I still have someone worth living for.

.................................

"Thanks Suna, you were really good today." Y/n said to him, finally eye level with the boy when she stood on the steps of her house. Suna averted his gaze to cover how secretly pleased he was with her praise.

"Are you coming to tomorrow's practice as well?" 'PleasePleasePleasePlease'

Y/n remained silent for a bit before nodding, "I guess, I was kinda worried I'd get in the way though."

Suna gave her one of his rare smiles, ruffling her hair exactly the way Kenta had.

"Don't worry, it's not like we're playing on the bench anyways."

"Well then," she shrugged, "see you tomorrow I guess."

"See ya."

"Y/n who was that?" Her mother asked.

"Oh my friend, Suna Rintarou." Y/n replied absentmindedly, giving her a quick hug before retiring to her room.

Later that night, well after she had fallen asleep, y/n's mother turned to her husband. They had seen her and Suna through the window, thinking the same thoughts Kenta had.

"You saw it too didn't you?"

Her father sighed heavily, "yes."

"I hope Kenta knows what he's doing."

Some things are not meant to be just as how some people are not meant to stay, so please see the bridge between your past and your future. They are not the same.

Your life, could be worth so much more if you could just let go. Let go, and move forward like you promised.