8, rintarou.

Y/n woke sleepily, checking the time to see her phone read 7:19am. She stretched in bed and laid there, staring at the ceiling and resting out the ten minutes before she needed to get up.

That was a good dream, she closed her eyes wistfully, wishing she could slip back in and continue dreaming.

She had been on the court with her old teammates, hair pulled into a braided ponytail and a fearsome rattlesnake's head emblazoned on her jersey. From the back of the court, the libero's eyes tracked an incoming golden haired outside hitter, scanning the position of his body and the angle of his wrist.

Cross shot. Her body instinctively moved into position, digging up the wing spiker's powerful hit and sending it in a soft arc to their setter.

"Rin!" The setter, a young woman with sharp eyes and a cutting attitude set the ball into a quick that the middle blocker slammed down, putting his entire torso into the spike, effectively evading the double block that would've stuffed him.

Her side exploded into cheers and crowded the boy, y/n joined them for a group hug and felt his arms wrap around her tightly. His expression was one filled with pure, unfiltered ecstasy.

She had woken up then, the feeling of his arms around her and her head pressed against his chest still lingering. Y/n sighed and softly whispered to her ceiling, wishing she could hear his voice once again.

"Rin, I hope you can hear me, I miss you so much."

For a second she thought she could hear I miss you too mix into the wind that knocked against her window. She shook her head quickly to dismiss the thought, Nakamura was gone, and she was about to be late for class if she stayed in bed any longer.

..............................

For the entire three weeks that Kenta stayed in Hyogo, y/n went to every practice and she sat there and watched. Her expression remained the same most of the time but Kenta could tell that every day she came, she came willingly and was beginning to open up. Finally.

On the last day, y/n arrived extra early. Kenta watched in shock when she picked up a ball and walked to a corner of the gym, peppering to herself.

"Want a partner? I don't think I can play the way I used to but peppering shouldn't be that difficult."

Y/n caught the ball to see Kenta standing a couple feet away from her. She then realized what she was doing and shook her head, quickly setting the ball down and resuming her spot on the bench.

"No thanks, the boys are already here anyways."

So close, if only I could stay a few more days. Kenta's heart ached but he knew y/n was making progress, slowly coming out of that empty shell.

"You're coming back with me this weekend right?" He asked hesitantly.

Y/n remained silent for a long count until she responded with a small "yes."

..............................

"Y/n, where are you going?" Atsumu asked, she usually walked home with them and Suna but today she was heading towards a car with Kenta, a packed backpack on hand.

"Kenta and I have a plane to catch."

"Wait where?"

"I'm going back to Tokyo."