36, keep going.

"Hey, it's been a while hasn't it?"

It was a chilly August afternoon, the wind nipped at y/n's exposed skin and playfully tugged at her clothes though she paid no mind to the weather as she curled up before the massive gray stone that marked the place where Tanaka Kenta rested. 

The graveyard was spotless and lively for once, the Obon festival having just ended a few days ago. The festival is a time for honouring the dead, your ancestors, and bringing family together, but Y/n had spent the last day sitting where she was now, amongst the graves of the Rattlesnakes because they were as much family to her as her own blood relatives.

If you were alive, today would've been your 31st birthday. 

Every year, Nakamura and I used to sneak over to your house the night before and drown your room in balloons and confetti and we'd hide in your closet until morning. I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard, your hair was all flat and messy and your voice cracked repeatedly from screaming because you woke up to Nakamura dangling a plastic spider in your face.

Just because I've accepted you're gone doesn't mean I don't still miss you with every fibre of my being, Kenta...

Years flew by since she last visited this place, not because she was busy but because she knew part of her still stubbornly clung to the past she fought so hard to let go of. 

However, today was a special occasion.

"It's funny how when we first met I was the youngest and now I'm theoretically older than both of you." Y/n chuckled lightly and teasingly glared at the two graves. "But don't you dare call me an old woman, I'm still in my 20s."

She sighed and absentmindedly brushed her abdomen, her knees pulling up to comfortably support her chin. 

"Hana, Ayano, Mae, and I have our own club in Nakano now. It was really difficult at first, with money and planning and everything and I was worried I couldn't be a coach as good as ours was but I had a lot of help and I'm grateful. I wish you could see it, I really want you to meet all the kids we've taken in and feel their passion for volleyball, it's almost addicting. Your names inspired them and it makes me so happy knowing none of you are being forgotten." Y/n paused then, as tears threatened to make an appearance. Happy, bittersweet tears.

She had come so far. From the frightened little girl haunted by grief and loss, to someone who came to realize her heart is still strong enough to accept and love new people even when the older names passed out of her life.

 "I'm sorry I haven't been visiting, I should've, but I came today because you still have the privileges of being the first to know whenever something crazy or exciting happens. I haven't even told Suna yet."

"Which Suna are you talking about, you or me?" A smug voice filled with mischief sounded from behind her. 

Y/n grinned and tilted her head back to meet the startling yellow-green gaze of Suna Rintarou. He stood over her with his lips curved in a playful frown and his hands shoved into the pockets of his team jacket.

"Did he respond when you talked?" He teased, he was now much more outgoing and mild as an adult compared to his introverted and somewhat cynical teenage self. "Sup Kenta."