13, to have trust.

Through much persuasion and bribery, Suna agreed to come over for the last night that y/n was with the Miya brothers. The four had sped through their homework and settled around the TV holding bags of snacks. 

"You're going to get fat." Atsumu teased his brother who held a plate of onigiri that y/n had made for the four of them.

"You're right, if I get fat then I'll look even more like you." Osamu retorted around a mouthful of rice as y/n and Suna snorted.

They watched a horror movie, much to Suna's disdain. Why? Because in one scene there was a jump scare that worked very effectively on y/n, she screamed aloud and grabbed the nearest person which happened to be Suna, scaring the living daylights out of him as well. The twins roared with laughter as they caught the whole thing on camera, having watched the movie before so they were expecting it.

After Atsumu replayed the sound of y/n shrieking and Suna experiencing heart failure for the 15th time y/n ended up slapping the phone out of his hands. She stormed off saying that they needed to go to bed but the boys knew that she was just embarrassed as hell, which only made them laugh harder.

Back in her temporary room and safe from the merciless teasing, y/n pulled out her phone and checked the weather, her throat closing slightly as she gulped. The sky was darkening rapidly and angry clouds loomed over her head.

"Did you ever get used to it?" She sat cross-legged on her bed, her voice hollow and quiet.

"No, and I don't think I ever will.." Kenta's voice responded, gentle and saddened. He leaned back in his chair, his phone lying flat on his leg and his free hand playing with a white cap, the bottle of medication sat neatly on his nightstand.

"Remember when we used to play in the rain as kids?" Y/n gave a weak huff of amusement at the irony of their situation. Both of them used to love rain, the warm showers that left the air smelling of ozone, earthy and sweet.

Kenta chuckled. "And we'd drag Rin and 'Kari out with us to look for snails? Yeah."

"Do you miss that?"

"The time Rin put a snail on your face and you screamed, slipped, and face-planted in the mud? Kind of."

"No." Y/n rolled her eyes. "When you liked rain."

"I always liked rain." Kenta smiled to himself. "Like I said, I never got used to storms but I just changed what they meant to me. The last time I was with 'Kari, it was during that storm. So whenever another happens, big ones with thunder and lightning and all that crap, I like to think of as a sign you know? A sign that she's waiting, that she hasn't left me for good. It's still scary, and I do get triggered sometimes, but in a way it's sort of comforting because I like to think that it means she's with me again. It sounds stupid, I just realized."

"No it's not." She said quickly. "It's a good way of thinking, just not for me I guess. Even if I tried to think of thunderstorms like that, I just— I've tried. There's no way I can't think of thunder and lightning and not see his face when he died, or hear his voice telling me that everything's going to be fine. I can't stand beneath a storm and convince myself that it's something that brings me comfort when it does the exact opposite."

"Maybe it doesn't have to be Rin." He replied simply. "Associate it with things that make you happy, people who make you smile, memories that make you laugh. Keep your head up alright? You've been through so much and look at you, you're still standing. Things are going to get better yeah? Also you already know that I'm a light sleeper if you want to call again, I'll keep my phone under my pillow."

Kenta rolled the tiny white pills in his palm before swallowing them whole, not bothering to wash it down with anything. He pushed himself up to his feet and limped towards the window, where fat droplets of water played a game of chase down the glass. The sound of rain filled his room, the noise of the city drowned out by the rhythmic pattering. He inhaled deeply, exhaled, and closed his eyes, imagining a tall girl with narrow eyes a rich dark green, so dark they looked black.