26, the outside and the libero.

They met for the first time around ten years ago, a family named Tanaka had just moved into a snug neighbourhood in the city of Sapporo, a single mother and her son. She heard that her new neighbours had a child close to her son's age, so she went over to introduce themselves. The girl was very outgoing and friendly, small in stature and her dark hair was pulled back into a ponytail. 

"I'm Y/n!" She chirped excitedly at the prospect of a new friend.

"Kenta." The boy was slightly shyer but he was intrigued by her energetic attitude, his gold eyes smiled at her through a mop of light brown hair.

Sudden thumping from upstairs announced the arrival of another, "Y/n!! Where'd you go- oh who's this?" A dark haired boy joined the two at the door.

"Oh! This is my new friend Kenta! Kenta, this is Rintarou." 

The two boys eyed each other curiously, sizing each other up before grinning broadly. Rintarou had a volleyball wedged under his arm and he grabbed y/n's hand, gesturing to Kenta with the ball.

"Let's go to the park and play ball!"

Y/n, Kenta, and Rintarou around the ages of 14, 16, and 15

"Kenta you look so cool woww!!" Y/n's eyes widened excitedly when he stepped out, wearing his new jersey.

The palette of gold, green, and black suited him. Kenta turned around in front of the mirror in his room proudly, admiring each angle. Rintarou lounged on the boy's bed, rolling his eyes.

"Narcissist." He coughed, earning a playful glare from his friend.

Kenta joined the Hokkaido Rattlesnakes as an outside hitter during the middle of his first high school year, earning lots of attention and popularity from his peers but he always ignored them, preferring to spend time with his best friends. Ever since Y/n, Rintarou, and Kenta met that fateful day the three had become inseparable, they did almost everything together. 

"Just you wait cornhead, I'll be joining you on that roster next year." Rintarou smirked while running a hand through his jet black hair.

Y/n cackled at the nickname, remembering the first time they helped Kenta dye his hair. He'd accidentally bought the wrong shade and instead of the nice golden blonde he expected, Kenta was mortified to see his hair in an incredibly unappealing corn yellow.

He shook his blonde head and pointed accusingly at Rintarou, "I thought we agreed that we wouldn't speak about that again."

"Y/n! Your mother says you have to come home now!" Kenta's mom called from downstairs. Sighing, y/n slid off her chair and hugged her two friends before leaving. Kenta noticed the way Rintarou watched her as she left and found a smirk edging its way onto his face.

"Ohhhhhhhh I see I see." He teased, laughing loudly at the expression on his friend's face. 

"Is it just me, or does she look better every year?" Rintarou commented, a blush creeping onto his face at the thought. 

Y/n had changed significantly since the group first met, catching the eyes of many people as she continued to grow. Her once pudgy face and scrawny physique had filled out, her limbs became strong and supple from volleyball and her hair nicely framed her face instead of tangling wildly.

Kenta shrugged, "I can't deny it. Y/n will probably continue glowing up well into her high school years." Seeing the expression on his friend's face Kenta added quickly, "Don't worry bro, y/n's too much of a little sister to me for me to look at her that way. Besides, if anybody was going to end up with her I'd prefer it be you."