29, "I hate goodbyes."

Celebration was in thick in the evening air, it was evident in the smiles and tears of the third years and could be heard in the voices that chattered excitedly about their future. Y/n stood huddled with Ayano and Akagi, the three of them grinned broadly into Suna's camera while Mae held Atsumu back in a chokehold to prevent photobombing. 

"Hey y/n, any plans for the future?" Ayano prompted, the others leaned in to listen.

They were settled in the grass on the school field and y/n tugged on a few blades as she pondered. 

"Well, I'm going to Todai for an undergrad and maybe after that, I might move abroad for volleyball." Y/n beamed at the prospect.

"Wait, move?" Suna frowned, "You're leaving? As in, leaving leaving?"

The others winced, averting their gaze at the brief look of hurt in Suna's eyes. Y/n chewed her lip, unable to formulate a response.

"I mean, yeah I might."

"When?" 

She finally looked away, unable to hold his gaze. "I don't know, nothing's for sure right now."

"We'll..." Mae began tugging their friends up and shoving them away "...give you two some privacy."

"No." Suna's tone was surprisingly harsh before he caught himself and softened his words.

"No thanks, I think we'll be fine. I trust her." Don't leave me.

Y/n gazed up at him and smiled briefly, squeezing his hand with her own.

"Y/n, let's go find your parents!" Mae grabbed y/n's hands and pulled her through the crowd, sifting around. Y/n's parents left for Tokyo a few days ago to pick up Kenta and they hoped to make it back in time for the graduation ceremony.

Y/n scanned the sea of faces before her eyes landed on a familiar pair of heads standing in the parking lot.

"Mom! Dad!" She called to them, waving her hands as she ran over.

Y/n embraced both parents tightly and smiled.

"We're so proud of you!" Her mother held y/n by the shoulders and looked into her daughter's eyes, tears already streaking her face. Y/n's smile slowly faded as she gazed at her mother, realizing that she was shaking through her trembling smile, her father stood silently behind her with a grim expression. They stood silently for a while before y/n finally spoke, her friends nervously fluttered around behind her.

"Mom.....Where's Kenta?" She asked quietly, dreading the answer. 

"He's-" her mother finally broke down sobbing, angrily wiping away tears. Y/n waited, one minute, two, until the silence became utterly unbearable and she suddenly understood why Kenta came to despise the sound of crying.

"He wanted you to have this." She managed, placing a folded letter into her hands, the edges damp and crinkled. Y/n unfolded the letter and read it carefully, feeling her heart drop into her stomach and her throat close with each word she read until she couldn't see anymore. Her tears were blinding her.

"What's this supposed to mean?" She asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yesterday afternoon, at around three, Kenta gave in and requested to be euthanized. It was painless and quick, and he had Mei write the note for you before he passed. I'm sorry you weren't able to see him one last time." Her father finished.

Y/n backed away, her ears ringing loudly as her breath shallowed and she felt her knees give out, slamming painfully into the pavement but she never noticed.