Lesson 5

💧Fasting is an act of worship

💧Many Muslims believe fasting to be a cultural norm, which is why you find many non-practing Muslims fasting.

💧Fasting is an obligatory act of worship; and it can destroy the validity and acceptance of it if one does not acknowledge and understand that it is worship and intend it as a form of worship.

💧There are two types of intention; ma'bood, whom the act is done for, and 'ibadah, intending it as a worship.

💧The believer should distinguish between norms and worship; e.g. a daily shower and ghusl from janâbah.

💧The believer should distinguish between nâfil and wâjib worship; e.g. fasting on Mondays and Thursdays from fasting in Ramadhân.

💧The believer leaves food, drink, and fulfilling sexual desire for the sake of Allâh.

💧Fasting isn't only abstaining from food and drink, but is to abstain from lying, gossiping, idle speech, and cursing.

💧The easiest form of fasting is to fast from food.
You are in a state of worship at every moment you're fasting.

💧You can only receive the reward by fasting with the intention of worship and not as a norm.

💧One who fasts with îmân and hope for reward from Allâh will have his sins forgiven.

💧Worship is by intention.

💧A small good deed will be magnified by the intention; a big good deed will be minimized by the intention.

💧There is no reward for cultural fasting.

💧It is required that the intention should surpass the action.

💧The believer's intention is far above the action.

💧In the time of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم), there were men who recieved the same reward as those in jihâd merely for their intention.

💧Ramadhân is not a social gathering; the large iftâr dinners is not the purpose of it and one should review his intention if that is his focus.