Lesson 27

💧Ramadhân is the month of being steadfast and consistent; it is the month the Qur‘ân was sent down to guide; and being steadfast and consistent is a part of guidance

💧The angels will descend upon those who believe and are the people of istiqâmah (steadfastness) in their faith and their deeds.

💧’Umar (may Allâh be pleased with him) said, describing the people of istiqâmah, “It is those people who do not deviate right or left.”

💧The people of istiqâmah are not distracted to the right or left and keep walking the straight path without deviating; they are steadfast and consistent.

💧The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him) was asked to say something of Islâm that one would not have to ask anyone else for anything (of Islâm) after that. He said, “Say I believe in Allâh and be steadfast.”

💧The believer cannot just say “I believe in Allâh”; he must be steadfast upon it. Being steadfast means being responsible for his speech and actions.

💧The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him) said, “Your îmân is not steadfast until your heart is upright, and your heart is not upright until your tongue is upright; and a man will not enter Jannah until his neighbors are safe from his harm.”

💧Of people are those who say “îmân is in the heart” or “my heart is good.” This is not the correct understanding. Steadfastness is not only in the heart; îmân begins in the heart and manifests on the limbs (by actions).

💧The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him) said, “Allâh looks at your heart and your deeds.”

💧AlQâsim ibn Muhammad said, “I met a people and speech did not fascinate them,” ie, they were not charmed by a person’s eloquence and looked at his actions.

💧Ibn Taymîyyah said, “The greatest honor a person can gain (from Allâh) is (being gifted with) steadfastness.”

💧The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him) said, “The one who fasts the entire Ramadhân and follows it with six days of Shawwâl, it will be as if he has fasted the entire year.” Following Ramadhân with the six days of Shawwâl is steadfastness.