Lesson 30

💧The salaf did not see Ramadhân as the only time for worship and obedience to Allâh; they saw Ramadhân as a training program for the months that followed it

💧The salaf did not look upon the people who only worshipped and obeyed Allâh in Ramadhân and left worship and obedience after it to be a good people.

💧It was said to Bishr ibn AlHârith, “There are a group of people who worship Allâh and work hard in the month of Ramadhân only.” He said, “What a terrible people they are that they only know Allâh in Ramadhân. The righteous person is the one who worships and works hard the whole year.”

💧’Eîd is the celebration of attaining forgiveness and having Ramadhân accepted it; it is not about new clothes or food.

💧Abû Mansoor AshShîrâzî said: ’Eîd is not for the one who has new clothing cut for him, but Eid is for the one who is forgiven.

💧Celebration is only deserved by the one forgiven by Allâh; and it is a celebration of what one has accomplished in Ramadhân of good deeds.

💧Of the people are those who, even before Ramadhân has ended, plan how to disobey Allâh on ’Eîd and who are careless with their prayers on ’Eîd or do not pray at all; and it may be that their Ramadhân and their deeds would not be accepted.

💧’Eîd should be a continuation of the good habits one built during Ramadhân; it is not a time of disobedience but a time to obey Allâh, remember Him, and be grateful to Him.

💧AlHasan AlBasrî said, “Every day that Allâh is not disobeyed, that is a day of ’Eîd; every day that a believer spends in obedience to Allâh, remembering Him and being grateful to Him, that’s a day of ’Eîd.”

💧The first priority of the salaf on the day of ’Eîd was to avoid sin and to obey Allâh throughout the entire day, while there are people today who start their ’Eîd intending to disobey Him.

💧Wakee’ ibn AlJarrâh said: We went out with Sufyân AthThawrî on a day of ’Eîd, and he said, “The first thing we’re going to start our day with is lowering our gaze.”

💧The women and young girls approaching the age of marriage would typically keep to themselves and stay within their homes, but they would come out on the day of ’Eîd, so Imâm Sufyân instructed those with him to lower their gaze when they went out.

💧The salaf would busy themselves with du’â asking Allâh to allow them to reach and observe Ramadhân and then asking Him to accept their Ramadhân after it had passed.

💧Mu’allâ ibn AlFadhl said, “They used to make du’â for six months to allow them to reach Ramadhân and they used to make du’â for the following six months for Allâh to accept it from them.”

💧One does not know if his deeds or Ramadhân will be accepted from him; and the salaf would cry out of fear that their Ramadhân would not be accepted.

💧’Adî ibn Artâh said in a khutbah after Ramadhân, “It’s as though we never felt any thirst and as though our eyes never stayed awake; our thirst is gone and nothing remains except the reward. Who has been accepted among us so that we can congratulate them? And who has been rejected among us so we can give our commiserations? As for you, the one whose deed has been accepted, an excellent welcome and congratulations to you; and as for you, the one who was rejected, may Allâh patch up this calamity.” Then he began to cry and the people cried with him.

💧The one who did not remain continuous and regular in his good deeds after Ramadhân was considered as one who had lost out and been prohibited from the good of Ramadhân.

💧The salaf would say to each other at the end of Ramadhân, “Whom is the one who has been prohibited, who has lost out on this month? The one who has lost out on this month for sure is the one who lost out on doing good; the one who has lost is the one who lost out on being continuous and regular in obeying Allâh.”

💧It is upon the believer to strive the path he started in Ramadhân and to continue being regular in the good deeds he performed during Ramadhân.