Lesson 19

💧Ramadhân is the month to train the tongue; it is a time to train and perfect our speech to speak only good and refrain from evil speech

The tongue may lead a person to the hellfire because of something he said out of carelessness.

💧Protect the tongue from unnecessary speech, backbiting, cursing, and lying; for anyone who doesn’t abandon evil speech, Allâh has no need of him to leave his food and drink.

💧Fasting is not just abstaining from food and drink.

💧There is an evidence that the purpose of fasting is to abstain from foul language and idle speech as the servant abstains from drinking and eating; and if he does not do so, his fasting has been shorted and he has presented himself to Allâh’s anger, and Allâh will not accept it from him.

💧Some of the salaf held the opinion that evil language invalidated the fast the same way as food and drink.

💧It is necessary to be consistent and continuous on abstaining from idle speech and backbiting; he has not fasted, the one who is consistent on eating the flesh of the people (by backbiting).

💧There is nothing more deserving on this earth of isolation and imprisonment than the tongue.

💧If one fasts, the hearing should fast from listening to harâm (like music), the eyesight should fast from looking at harâm, and the tongue should fast from lying and speaking harâm.

💧The servant may utter something and he’ll be completely unaware of the seriousness of what he said and because of it, he will dwell in the hellfire.

💧Say good and you will find success; be silent and you will be safe before you regret.

💧Protect your tongue, do not let it bite you, it is a scorpion; for there are people in their graves because of something they said.

💧The tongue can bring good and success, or it can bring destruction and harm.