Lesson 20

💧Laylah al-Qadr is an opportunity of a lifetime; it is the opportunity for reward, for forgiveness, for mercy; and the one who takes advantage of it is truly happy and the one prevented from it is truly wretched

💧The servant who knows and understands its value will race to do more than he has ever done; and the one who doesn’t fully understand may sleep or be lazy and will come to regret.

💧Laylah al-Qadr’s importance is so great that Allâh revealed a sûrah only about it and the sûrah outlines the virtues of that night.

💧The Qur‘ân was first revealed on Laylah al-Qadr; it is better than 1,000 months, which is 83 years and 4 months in total, a lifetime of worship.

💧Laylah al-Qadr may only be a handful of hours but each hour could be equal to a decade of worship.

💧The angels and Jibreel descend on the night of Laylah al-Qadr; and the angels only descend with good and blessings.

💧Laylah al-Qadr is a night of salâm and being saved from the fire.

💧Whoever stands (in worship) on Laylah Al-Qadr with faith in Allâh and in hope of His reward will have all of their previous sins forgiven.

💧Seek it out in the last ten nights of Ramadhân in the odd nights. Some people make the mistake of selecting one of the odd nights, usually the 27th, to put all their effort into and neglect the other nights, but this is not correct or from the sunnah — Laylah al-Qadr can be any of the odd nights.

💧Others make the mistake of putting effort in only the odd nights and neglecting the even nights. This is also a mistake. If the month turns out to be 29 days instead of 30, the odd nights will turn out to be even and the even nights will turn out to be odd.

💧What is correct is to treat all ten nights as Laylah al-Qadr.

💧Ibn Mas’ood said to stand in worship the whole year to catch Laylah al-Qadr.

💧The Prophet is the best example to follow and he worked hard in the last ten nights, making no distinction between them. He made the effort in all of them, staying awake during the night for worship.

💧When ’‘ishah asked what to say on Laylah al-Qadr, the Prophet told her: Allahumma innaka afuwwun, tuhibbu al’afwa, fa’wfu ’ani (O Allâh, you are the one who pardons and you love to pardon, so pardon me).

💧When the last ten nights come, it is preferred that the servant should pray Tahajjud and make real strong efforts in it by lengthening it; they should wake their family to pray if they are able to do so.

💧Sufyân AthThawrî said: Du’â is more beloved to me on that night than prayer.

💧There are many vast opportunities for combining du’â and prayer in these nights: one may make du’â in sujood, after the tashahud (before salâm), and in the qunoot of Witr.

💧In these last ten nights, one should not forget or neglect making efforts in the daytime as well. Imâm AshShâfi’î said: A person's efforts in the daytime should be like the efforts of the nighttime.

💧During the last ten nights, some of the Salaf would make ghusl every night and put on perfume to prepare themselves for worship.