Prologue

Dampbreeze had tears falling down his face as he sat in the sand. The tears were hitting the lump of sand was under him. "Why did it have to be like this, Blizzardfluff? Why did you fight that cat alone!?" his mew was shaky. A tail lay on his shoulders as he looked over at the she-cat next to him.

"It'll be alright Dampbreeze... She and Icejaw are in a better place now. There's nothing we could have done to prevent this." she meowed.

"Sagethorn." Dampbreeze started. "Don't you want to get revenge on that Vertexclan cat for killing both your mate and daughter?" He shrugged her tail off of his shoulders. He was still staring at Blizzardfluff's grave.

"Revenge won't solve anything though, it will just cause more hate between cats..."

"Not if I have anything to do about it." Dampbreeze growled lowly he lifted his head and then turned around, he padded back towards Driftclan.

"Dampbreeze!" Sagethorn called to her clanmate. "Please do nothing that will get you in trouble!"

Dampbreeze didn't care what she had to say.

He wanted the cat that killed his mate to feel his pain.

*

Once Dampbreeze got back to camp, he headed to the Nursery to see Rushstreak. Once he got there, he peaked his head in and saw the she-cat lift her head. "Hey, Dampbreeze." she mewed. The three kits that were nuzzled up against her belly were sleeping.

"Hi, I want to talk to you about something." He kept his meow low so he wouldn't wake the kits.

"What is it?"

"Please, never tell Mistkit about Blizzardfluff. I don't want him to know that she is his actual mother," He meowed.

"But why? You're his father! He hasn't seen you yet and you would have to tell him about his mother, eventually..."

"That's the thing," he said, "I don't want him to know that I'm his father at all."

Rushstreak gasped, "I feel like that's a little too cruel Dampbreeze, even for you!"

"I want my son to be happy knowing that he has a mother and father that love him. He would be sad knowing that he just has a father and I can't bear to see my kit look upset at all." He looked away for a bit, sadness in his eyes.

"I-I'm sure he would understand at some point, Dampbreeze! There's no reason to lie..."

"Please, Rushstreak, just do this for me. I want Mistkit to be happy."

Rushstreak looked at the sleeping Mistkit and then back at Dampbreeze. Then she sighed, "F-Fine... But promise one thing, though..."

"Promise what?" The tom was leaving the Nursery but turned his head around.

"That when Mistkit becomes a warrior, you must tell him the truth. If you don't, then I will myself." She meowed.

Dampbreeze hesitated before speaking again. "I promise."

Rushstreak laid her head down and closed her eyes as Dampbreeze left the Nursery.

What the two Driftclan cats didn't know, is that one kit huddled against Rushstreak's belly, was in fact, not sleeping.