Chapter 25

Lionpaw had been awake all night. He was thinking about Ripplepaw and only Ripplepaw. He wanted to be mates with her. Yeah, becoming a warrior will be cool and all, but all I can think about is Ripplepaw! He thought to himself and sighed, rolling over in his nest in the Vertexclan apprentices' den. Across from him was his sister, Emberpaw. He was still mad at her because she didn't want him to be with Ripplepaw. She doesn't understand what love is... She doesn't understand me! Lionpaw sighed once more. He wished his sister would understand what he was feeling. Why couldn't she fall in love with that other Driftclan apprentice? Lionpaw watched as Emberpaw started to sir up. Then he looked over to see Lightningpaw yawn. The other apprentice was already awake. Maybe she likes Lightningpaw or something... He thought and got up. "I don't even feel like training today." he meowed out loud.

"What, why?" It was Lightningpaw who responded to the cream-furred tom.

"I've been training all this moon!" Lionpaw exclaimed.

"Didn't we take our warrior assessments yesterday...?"

"Yeah, we did! Wait..." Lionpaw thought to himself for a second.

Lightningpaw sighed.

"Cats of Vertexclan!", there was a yowl that came from outside the den. "Please gather around the Sharp Stone for a clan meeting!" it sounded like Skystar who was yelling.

Lionpaw watched as Emberpaw quickly got up and left the apprentices' den, along with Rainpaw. Lightningpaw would leave next, but he turned around and looked at Lionpaw. "You coming? I'm sure we will be warriors here soon." he meowed.

Lionpaw spaced out for a moment, but then shook his head once he came back to reality. "Yeah!" he meowed back, following Lightningpaw out of the apprentices' den. Both apprentices headed over to the Sharp Stone, along with the rest of their clanmates. As they padded into the group of cats, they could hear Skystar's meow more clearly.

"I shall appoint four new warriors!" he yelled, "Lightningpaw and Rainpaw, please step forward."

Both littermates did as they were told and stepped forward towards the Sharp Stone.

"Lightningpaw and Rainpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your clan, even at the cost of your lives?" Skystar asked.

"I do," Lightningpaw meowed and Rainpaw nodded.

"Then, by the powers of Starclan, I give you both your warrior names. Lightningpaw and Rainpaw, from this moment you both will be known as Lightningblaze and Rainpad. Starclan honors your honesty and independence, and we welcome you as full warriors of Vertexclan."

Lightningblaze gave a smile, and Rainpad had given a small one.

"Emberpaw and Lionpaw, please step forward."

The two did as they were told and stepped forward next to Rainpad and Lightningblaze.

"Emberpaw and Lionpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code to protect and defend your clan, even at the cost of your lives?" the leader asked again.

"I do!" Lionpaw meowed.

"I do." Emberpaw meowed with her brother.

"Then, by the powers of Starclan, I give you both your warrior names. Emberpaw and Lionpaw, from this moment you both will be known as Emberfoot and Lionstrike. Starclan honors your initiative and loyalty, and we welcome you as full warriors of Vertexclan." Skystar meowed.

"Lightningblaze! Rainpad! Emberfoot! Lionstrike!" Vertexclan cheered for the new warriors.

Buzzardgaze padded in front of the four new warriors. "And as your first duty as warriors, you all will go on your first patrol around the territory!" he meowed and smiled.

"Cool!" Emberfoot meowed back.

"Neat!" Lightningblaze said.

Rainpad had a straight face and gave no reaction.

"Really?! Yay!" Lionstrike nearly bounced around in excitement, but he just ended up having his entire body vibrate.

"You all may go, then." Buzzardgaze said, flicking his tail.

The four Vertexclan warriors padded to the entranced of the camp and then headed out, following the steep path that was leading away from Vertexclan.

*

After a little while, Lightningblaze spoke up, since no other cat was meowing. "This is fun, right?" he meowed.

Rainpad shrugged.

"Yeah, it's cool to see more of the territory! Kind of... What do you think, Lionstrike?" Emberfoot meowed to her brother, but there was no response.

"Lionstrike?" she said his name again, looking around this time.

Lionstrike was nowhere to be found.

"Hold on!" Emberfoot yelled and stopped.

"What's up?" Lightningblaze stopped as well and turned around to look at the she-cat. Rainpad turned.

"Lionstrike disappeared!" she exclaimed.

*

"Aren't you excited, Marigoldpaw?"

"I guess..." Marigoldpaw meowed.

Nova was pacing back and forth in the medicine den in front of her apprentice. She was very excited.

"You will be a medicine cat!" Nova stopped and stared at Marigoldpaw with a wide smile.

"Yeah?"

Nova realized how close she was to the apprentice and moved back a little. "S-Sorry!" she meowed. "Just a little excited! You've come so far in your medicine cat training Marigoldpaw and I'm super proud of you!"

Marigoldpaw smiled. "Thank you, Nova! I'm glad you could mentor me through all of this. I've had a lot of fun and I'll be ready to be a medicine cat for Vertexclan," she meowed.

Nova sat there with wide eyes. She nearly shed a tear at her apprentices' words.

Marigoldpaw tilted her head to the side, confused with Nova's look. "Are you okay?" she asked.

"I'm just fine, Marigoldpaw, just fine."

"Okay!"

"Now let's go over some things before you become a full medicine cat tomorrow!" Nova meowed happily.