Chapter 11

Dampbreeze couldn't believe what he was hearing. Mistpaw is my apprentice?! He thought and would head on over to Shellstar's den, but before he could, a certain apprentice ran up to him: It was Mistpaw. "Hi, Dampbreeze!" he mewed. "So when are we starting our training?" he asked with a wide smile on his face. "I'm ready to start now!"

Mistpaw's face and that wide smile reminded Dampbreeze so much of Blizzardfluff, he couldn't take it. I-I have to go eat some goatweed... The Driftclan warrior thought as he looked at his son. Dampbreeze stared at Mistpaw. His smile reminded him of Blizzardfluff. He shook his head quickly. "Uh, we won't be starting today, we'll start tomorrow!" he meowed back and quickly headed back to the Warriors' den.

Mistpaw gave a confused look as his mentor turned around and left.

Dampbreeze on the other paw. Once he headed into the warriors' den, he saw his brother Eagleswoop sleeping. Good thing he is sleeping... He thought and went to his nest to get the goatweed was behind it. Dampbreeze lapped some of it up quickly and then felt a wave of warm hit him in the muzzle, like how a wave would hit the shore on the Ocean Side.

"I feel so much better..." He meowed out loud.

"Oh, hey Dampbreeze!" It was the voice of Eagleswoop next to him. He had woken him up from his slumber.

You have got to be kidding me... Well, at least I can deal with him now; the goatweed helps a lot.

"Hello, Eagleswoop." he replied with a smile.

"Is the goatweed helping you?" he meowed.

"Yeah, it is. I've been feeling so much better recently!" Dampbreeze meowed back.

It doesn't make me completely forget about Blizzardfluff, but it eases my grief...

"That's great!" Eagleswoop replied happily.

Dampbreeze quickly headed to the entrance of the den. "W-Well I will go see Shellstar now so see you around!"

"Okay!" Eagleswoop yawned and laid his head back onto his paws.

Once the tom left the warriors' den, he made his way to Shellstar's den. He saw Mistpaw heading into the apprentices' den and sighed. Dampbreeze didn't want to train him, it was too much for his heart. He made it into the leaders' den and saw as Shellstar lifted his head. "Oh, hello Dampbreeze."

"Why did you give me an apprentice and out of the three apprentices, you gave me Mistpaw?"

Shellstar gave a surprised look and then sighed. "Dampbreeze, I gave you an apprentice because I need you to get your mind on other things. And what's wrong with Mistpaw? Isn't he part of your kin?"

Those words hit Dampbreeze like the goatweed he ate. "No, he's not. I'm just not sure he'll get along with me."

"Huh? Strange, I thought Blizzardfluff was your mate and..." Shellstar trailed off.

"No, she wasn't my mate..." Dampbreeze lied. We are still mates forever, Blizzardfluff don't worry... I'm hiding this, for Mistpaw's sake...

"Oh, maybe Otterpelt made a mistake, I guess," the Driftclan leader replied. "That won't make me change my mind about having Mistpaw as your apprentice Dampbreeze," he added.

"Shellstar you don't understand me-"

"I understand you very well at the moment Dampbreeze, so please, just train Mistpaw and when he's a warrior, you won't have to worry about him anymore."

I have to worry about him as a warrior, because that's when I will have to tell him the truth!

"F-Fine..." The warrior meowed and looked away.

"Thank you. Is there anything else you have to tell me?"

Dampbreeze shook his head and then left Shellstar's den. "I need to get more goatweed... Thistlebreeze told me she and Otterpelt were going to the Ocean Side today... So I'll just take some, I'm sure she wouldn't mind." he meowed to himself as he padded into the medicine den. Dampbreeze prodded through all the herbs there were until he saw a bundle of small branches huddled up with each other. There it is. Dampbreeze thought as he took some in his maw.

"Dampbreeze?" it was a mew from the entrance of the den that nearly made him jump. He slowly turned around to see the face of the Driftclan deputy, Featherdrip. She looked worried.

"Oh, hello Featherdrip," He meowed through the goatweed.

"Shellstar requested I check on you, but what are you doing in the medicine den? I hope you are not stealing herbs."

"Of course not!" Dampbreeze started. "Thistlewhisper said I could take some of these if I needed them. They help me calm down."

"Oh! Well, that's okay, as long as you're not doing anything wrong I guess... I'll check on you later, Dampbreeze."

"Okay." Dampbreeze replied as he watched Featherdrip leave the den.

Dampbreeze left as well and headed back to the warriors' den.

These will for sure help me through training, Mistpaw... He thought and sighed.

*

Mistpaw sat up in his nest in the apprentices' den excitedly. He just wanted to train now. He wanted to become a warrior as soon as possible. He looked on the right side of him and saw his sister Hollowpaw sleeping. He smiled widely and left the apprentices' den happily. He saw Dampbreeze heading to the warriors' den. He would go speak to him until he heard a yell from the entrance of the camp. Mistpaw looked over and saw what looked like Thistlewhisper, one of the two Driftclan medicine cats, dragging a limp Otterpelt by the scruff. Mistpaw seemed confused. Did Otterpelt pass out? He thought.

"Shredflash killed Otterpelt!" Thistlewhisper yelled.