Chapter 28

"Come with me!" Mistfall heard a voice that sounded familiar to his own. "We'll be safe here!" it meowed.

Mistfall jolted awake. He looked around to see that he was now in the Warriors' den. Oh, right... he thought, I became a warrior yesterday! He could see that some warriors disappeared. The only warriors were in the den were Stormfish and Eelspeck, both still asleep. I won't get surprised if they retired to the Elders' den soon! Mistfall thought and got up. His becoming mates with Fang has made him forget about Dampbreeze's death.

But he didn't forget.

He couldn't forget about Dampbreeze. He was great, and he believed in me too! Mistfall thought as he padded out of the warriors' den. The tom now had a frown on his face as he made his way over to the fresh-kill pile. He didn't know why he was going over there; he wasn't hungry, anyway. A few heartbeats later, he saw Rushstreak padding over to him. I forgot... Mistfall sighed as she padded up to him.

"Hey, Mistfall." she meowed.

"Hi!"

"Do you want to talk now, or later?" Rushstreak asked.

"Maybe la-"

"Mistfall! Rushstreak! Just the two I needed. Come over here!" it was Featherdrip that yelled near the entrance of the camp. Mistfall looked over to see her standing next to Ripplewave. What could she possibly need...?

Rushstreak and Mistfall padded over to the two she-cats near the entrance. Ripplewave nearly looked away once she saw Mistfall gazing down on her.

"Hey, Featherdrip!" Rushstreak said. "What did you need us for?"

"I need you three to go see what you can catch in the ocean on the Ocean Side." she meowed.

"Sure!" the dark ginger she-cat meowed back.

"Sounds great!" Ripplewave mewed.

Mistfall just nodded.

"Leaf-bare may approach soon, and we need to make sure we have enough prey to get through it. So I'm having you three catch some fish to fill up the pile." Featherdrip meowed.

"You can count on us! Come on, you two." Rushstreak made her way out of the camp, Mistfall and Ripplewave padded behind their mother.

*

Mistfall, Rushstreak, and Ripplewave were all sitting by the Ocean Side. They've only caught about four fish and they were still running their paws through the chilly water.

"You know, Dampbreeze cared about you a lot, Mistfall." Rushstreak meowed, breaking the silence.

"So we're having this talk now?" Mistfall meowed back.

Rushstreak nodded.

"Mistfall, Dampbreeze is your actual father."

Mistfall's eyes widened as he slowly turned to look at Rushstreak. "What?"

"Dampbreeze was your actual father." Rushstreak meowed again.

"So Sandcoat isn't your mate?" Mistfall seemed confused now.

"He is. It's just that your actual mother died many moons ago. Her name was Blizzardfluff, and Shredflash killed her."

Shredflash did what?! Mistfall thought he was getting angry now.

"All those moons ago, Shredflash came to Driftclan and killed a cat by the name of Icejaw. Icejaw was Blizzardfluff's father. No cat knows why he did it. He just padded into the camp and attacked Icejaw. Before he did that, he killed two members of his clan, Vertexclan, before running away. One of those cats was one of the past leaders of Vertexclan, Birdstar, causing him to lose one of his lives." Rushstreak meowed.

"H-How do I know any of this is true...? Why should I believe that you're not my mother and Sandcoat isn't my father?" Mistfall's mew shook.

"It's true because I was there when Dampbreeze came into the Nursery talking about you when we were kits, Mistfall." Ripplewave meowed.

"You were listening?" Rushstreak turned her head to face Ripplewave.

Ripplewave nodded. "I remember you both agreeing to tell Mistfall that Dampbreeze was his actual father when he became a warrior."

Mistfall's eyes seemed to go dark. "Why didn't he just tell me my mother was dead sooner?"

"He didn't want you to feel hurt and alone, he wanted you to live a content life." Rushstreak replied, frowning now.

"I would have been just fine if he told me all of this sooner!" the tom smacked the water and hissed.

"Calm down, Mistfall!" Ripplewave yelled.

Mistfall padded up to Ripplewave, "Don't tell me to calm down when you aren't the one who's gotten lied to their entire life!" He growled.

"Mistfall..." Ripplewave's mew sounded hurt.

"I'm over this." Mistfall started padding away from Rushstreak and Ripplewave and headed back to Driftclan.

"Mistfall! Come back!" Rushstreak called to him.

He didn't look back as he headed back to camp.

*

Mistfall curled up into his nest inside the warriors' den. He didn't want to move at all, he just wanted to sleep forever at this point. The warriors' den was empty, and only he was in it.

"Mistfall!" he heard a mew that nearly made him jump.

"W-Who's there?!" he looked up and right in front of him to see a fluffy white she-cat look down on him.

"Just me, Blizzardfluff!" she meowed.

"Blizzardfluff? You're my mother?!"

"Yep!"

"You asked me how I wanted to live my life all those moons ago..." Mistfall meowed to her.

"Mhm!" her smile got wider. "Did you ever figure it out?"

"No... And I don't know if I ever will... My entire life just seems like a lie at this point..." Mistfall sighed.

"No, it's not! You still have your clan and your mate, of course!" Blizzardfluff still smiled.

Mistfall gasped. "Fang!" his frown went to a smile. How could he forget about his mate?

"So, Mistfall, have you figured out how you want to live your life yet?"

"Yes, I have!" he gave Blizzardfluff a wide smile.

"How do you want to live?" she gave the same wide smile back.

"I want to have kits with Fang and live with her in Driftclan and protect every cat! Especially my kin!" Mistfall meowed.

"Yay! I'm so proud of you for figuring it out!" Blizzardfluff hopped around.

"Mistfall?" the two cats heard a yell from outside the warriors' den.

"Well, looks like I'll be going now. It's nice seeing my kit all grown up and making his own decisions!" she meowed, fading away.

Mistfall held back tears as Blizzardfluff faded. "Goodbye, Blizzardfluff! Tell Dampbreeze I said Hello!"

Blizzardfluff giggled. "Sure thing! Remember that we'll always be watching over you, Mistfall!" her mew echoed as she completely disappeared.

"Mistfall, are you okay?" it was Ripplewave who entered the warriors' den with a worried look.

"I'm just fine!" the tawny grey tom mewed.

"So... Are you not mad at Rushstreak and me anymore?"

"I didn't like being lied to, but Dampbreeze did it to keep me happy and I'm fine with that now!" Mistfall smiled.

"You sure?" Ripplewave asked.

"Yep! Now let's go share a piece of prey! I'll race you to the fresh-kill pile!" Mistfall smirked and ran past his littermate.

"H-Hey! Wait up!" Rushstreak yelled and ran after him.