Chapter 34

"This way!" Mistfall shouted as he and the Driftclan leader and deputy followed him down the Ocean Side.

"I'm guessing we turn right into those trees?" Featherdrip meowed.

"Yeah!" Mistfall meowed back, turning right and running down the forest path. Shellstar and Featherdrip followed close by.

As they ran past the bushes and trees, Mistfall noticed something greyish up ahead. It was hiding behind some plants; it had vines wrapping around the top and sides of it. "Is that the cave up ahead?" Featherdrip said.

Mistfall nodded. "Yes, I think that's it!"

The three Driftclan cats ran up to the cave. Mistfall was the first to run in. "Fang?" he meowed and looked around, and once he spotted Fang and another she-cat in the left corner of the cave. He then ran over to his mate and began nuzzling her. "I'm so glad you're okay and Shredflash didn't get you!" he said.

"He knocked me over and nearly attacked Eclipse... But we're okay. I thought he was outside though?" she meowed back.

Featherdrip shook her head. "We didn't see him out there." the Driftclan deputy mewed.

"I'll go look around, he can't be far." Shellstar said and then padded out of the cave slowly.

"Be careful... Shredflash is dangerous..." Eclipse's meow shook.

"It'll be alright." Shellstar meowed back before heading out the cave completely.

Mistfall turned back to his mate. "We should get going now then." he meowed.

Fang nodded. "I agree, before Shredflash comes back."

There was then a yowl that came from outside the den. The yowl sounded like Shellstar. "Shellstar!" Featherdrip yelled and ran outside the cave.

Oh, no... Mistfall thought, running after Featherdrip. Fang and Eclipse were running out behind him. Once the four cats got out of the cave, Mistfall's eyes widened at the sight he was seeing. Shredflash was on top of the Driftclan leader, clawing at his muzzle, chest, and neck with deep scratches.

"Get off of him!" Featherdrip yelled and ran over to the two, tackling the grey tom off of her leader. She unsheathed her claws and raked at his eyes. She scratched his left eye, making the scar through it bleed instantly, causing Shredflash to screech in pain, biting Featherdrip's front leg, sinking his teeth in, causing her to screech. Shredflash threw the blue gray-furred she-cat off of him. She landed onto the side of him, sliding back a little. I can't watch this for much longer... Mistfall thought and ran over to Shredflash as he got up. Shredflash looked at him and growled. Mistfall unsheathed his claws, and Shredflash did. Mistfall battered at him, and Shredflash battered back. Both toms clawed and raked at each other for a few heartbeats before Mistfall found an opening. There! he thought and rammed himself into Shredflash, knocking him backwards. While I still have time... He looked over at Fang and Eclipse, who were both watching in horror. Mistfall looked back at Featherdrip, who got up and limped over to Shellstar. There was blood leaking from most of his upper body. Shellstar coughed and opened his eyes, panting. "Get out of here." he meowed.

"Not without you!" Featherdrip yelled.

Shredflash was stirring up.

"Go take the other two she-cats and go! I promise I'll come back safe." Shellstar yelled back.

"Shellstar..."

"That's an order, Featherdrip."

Featherdrip frowned, then turned over to Fang and Eclipse. She quickly limped over to them. "I'm taking you to Driftclan, let's go." she headed off towards the Ocean Side. Eclipse followed, but Fang looked over to Mistfall. And Mistfall looked over to Fang. Shredflash was already up again and padding towards Mistfall. "Mistfall behind you!" she yelled.

Mistfall turned around to see Shredflash lunging at him. Mistfall dodged it, but one of Shredflash's claws had scratched his shoulder, leaving a deep gash. Mistfall winced, but held in a screech. Shredflash turned around to face Mistfall and lunged at him again, Mistfall dodged it swiftly and turned to face the grey tom once more. "Go, Fang!" Mistfall shouted.

Fang just stood there for a bit.

"Go now! I'll be okay!" he shouted again.

Fang nodded and headed after Featherdrip and Eclipse.

Shredflash hissed. "You won't take my kin away from me!"

"And you won't harm them!" Mistfall hissed back and clawed at his muzzle, leaving a gash as it spurted out blood. Shredflash screeched and then pounced onto Mistfall, pinning him.

"Your life ends here and now!" Shredflash growled.

Mistfall was struggling to get up. He then looked over to see Shellstar limping up to Shredflash, coming from behind him. "Shellstar, don't!" Mistfall yelled, causing Shredflash to turn around. Shellstar drove his claws into Shredflash's back leg, blood now leaking out. Shredflash shrieked in pain and whipped around. He then retaliated by his right claws into his neck. Shredflash pushed his claws deeper. "Die!" Shredflash said.

"Shellstar!" Mistfall yelled as he watched his leader fall over onto his side, his neck gushing out blood.

Shredflash completely got off of Mistfall and stared down at Shellstar. "You shouldn't have done that," he meowed darkly.

Shellstar twitched on the ground as he continued to bleed out. Shredflash lifted his paw, claws unsheathed, and slammed it down onto his neck, pushing them further and further in. Mistfall watched in horror, and the anger inside him grew. "Stop!" he yelled, getting up and pouncing onto Shredflash. Shredflash attempted to bite his legs, but he couldn't reach them. Mistfall begun clawing as fast as he could at the tom's face. "Leave us alone!" he shouted and took his left claws and drove them into Shredflash's neck. Then took his right claws and gave the grey tom a deep rake down his belly. Shredflash shrieked as his eyes rolled back into his head, as Mistfall pushed his claws deeper into his neck, clawing at his belly repeatedly. Eventually, Shredflash stopped moving completely. Mistfall hopped off of him and padded over to Shellstar, who looked up at Mistfall. "Heh.." he meowed, then coughed up blood.

"You'll be fine, right Shellstar?" Mistfall did the best he could to take Shellstar back to Driftclan. "You have more lives, right? You'll get through this!"

"Mistfall, put me down, please."

Tears fell from his eyes. "Shellstar, please!"

"I'm losing too much blood. Go back to Driftclan. You can come for my body later and bury it. Just make sure every cat is safe." his mew hoarse.

"No, I'm making sure you live!" Mistfall yelled.

Mistfall felt Shellstar get heavier. "Shellstar?" he gently set him down.

There was no response from him.

"Shellstar!" Mistfall yelled and dug his muzzle into his fur.

Shellstar was dead.

Mistfall lifted his muzzle up, tears falling onto Shellstar's body. I'll be back for you, Shellstar... I'll make sure we bury your body in the warm sand by the Ocean Side... He thought, then headed back to Driftclan.

The Driftclan warrior did not know if they won or lost the battle.