Chapter 26

"Aren't you excited for today, Ripplepaw?" It was the meow of Hollowpaw.

Ripplepaw nodded. "Yeah, being a warrior will be great! We'll get to hunt on our own and fight on our own... And even train apprentices of our own one day!"

"I can't wait!" Hollowpaw jumped around in her nest excitedly.

"How about you, Mistpaw?" Ripplepaw looked over at her brother to see him curled up and looking away from them.

"Oh, right..." Ripplepaw had remembered how Mistpaw saw his mentor and father die in front of him. Mistpaw took his warrior assessment with Featherdrip because of what happened to Dampbreeze. Does that mean I must tell Mistpaw now...? She thought and gave an enormous sigh. Ripplepaw looked back over at Mistpaw. He was still in the same position. Maybe after he's a warrior, I'll tell him about Blizzardfluff... But what if he doesn't-

"Cats of Driftclan, please gather around the Tide Pool for a clan meeting!" It was Shellstar who yelled from outside of the apprentices' den.

Hollowpaw almost instantly hopped up and padded out of the den with a wide smile across her face. Ripplepaw got up as well she went over to Mistpaw and prodded him with her paw, "Come on Mistpaw," she started, "We're becoming warriors, aren't you excited to become one?" she meowed and gave a smile.

Mistpaw looked up at his sister. His usual smile wasn't there at all. He had a blank stare. There was no emotion in his gaze. "Sure." he mewed back and then shrugged.

Ripplepaw wanted to just curl up next to Mistpaw and comfort him until he got better. But she couldn't do that now. I have to focus on just becoming a warrior today... Ripplepaw thought and prodded her brother once more. "Let's go."

Mistpaw sighed and got up, and once he did, he and Ripplepaw both left the apprentices' den and headed to the Tide Pool and stood on each side of Hollowpaw. The rest of Driftclan gathered around the three apprentices.

"I have gathered you all here today because there will be three new warriors." Shellstar meowed to his clan.

"Mistpaw, Ripplepaw, Hollowpaw, please step forward."

The apprentices did as they were told and stepped up to the Tide Pool.

The leader looked at Hollowpaw first. "Hollowpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and protect Driftclan, even if it means your life?" he asked.

"I do!" she meowed back.

"Then, by the powers of Starclan, I give you your warrior name. Hollowpaw, from this moment you will be known as Hollowcreek. Starclan honors your spirit, and we welcome you as a full warrior of Driftclan," Shellstar said.

He then looked at Ripplepaw. "Ripplepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and protect Driftclan, even if it means your life?"

"I do."

"Then, by the powers of Starclan, I give you your warrior name. Ripplepaw, from this moment you will be known as Ripplewave. Starclan honors your forethought, and we welcome you as a full warrior of Driftclan."

Ripplewave smiled. She was happy to become a warrior for her clan.

Finally, Shellstar's eyes gazed into Mistpaw's. Mistpaw stared at the Driftclan leader. He could tell there was a small amount of hurt in Mistpaw's orange-red eyes.

"Mistpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and protect Driftclan, even if it means your life?"

"I do," Mistpaw meowed.

"Then, by the powers of Starclan, I give you your warrior name. Mistpaw, from this moment you will be known as Mistfall. Starclan honors your determination, and we welcome you as a full warrior of Driftclan."

"Hollowcreek! Ripplewave! Mistfall!" Driftclan cheered for their new warriors.

As the clan dispersed back into their normal duties, Ripplewave looked over at Mistfall. The tawny and grey tom was looking down at his paws.

I guess I'll tell him now... Ripplewave would pad up next to her brother so she could speak with him, but then a certain she-cat padded up to the three of them.

"Hey, Rushstreak!" Hollowcreek meowed as she turned around to face her mother.

"Hi, you three. I'm proud that you've all become warriors! It feels like you three were just born a moon ago!" she purred.

Ripplewave and Hollowcreek purred, but Mistfall was silent, still looking down at his paws.

Rushstreak looked at Mistfall, then frowned. "Mistfall, let's talk about something very important tomorrow, alright?"

"Okay." he mewed back, now looking up at his mother.

Ripplewave watched as Rushstreak padded off towards the warriors' den.

She'll be telling him herself then.

*

"So your name is Mistfall now? That's amazing!" Fang meowed.

Mistfall nodded. "I guess it is, but I'm still not feeling it..."

"Why?" Fang asked, then nuzzled against him. "What's wrong?"

"My mentor Dampbreeze died in front of my eyes. I miss him so much, why did he have to go?" Mistfall teared up, he missed Dampbreeze a lot.

"Mistfall..." Fang mewed quietly.

"Starclan, why couldn't it have been me instead?" the tom looked up with tears falling from his eyes.

"Mistfall, never say that again!" Fang yelled.

Mistfall then looked at Fang. He was a little confused.

"I'm sure wherever Dampbreeze is now, he'll be watching over you. He would want you to continue and live your life in your clan," she meowed.

"I guess you're right..." He sniffed.

"Plus, I want you to be my mate, Mistfall."

"H-Huh?" Mistfall's eyes widened in surprise at the words Fang had told him.

Fang nuzzled the Driftclan warrior once more. "I want to be with you, even if that means sneaking away from Shredflash and Eclipse every night. It'll be worth it."

"Fang..." Mistfall started.

"Yes?"

"I would love to be your mate!" Mistfall's frown turned into a wide smile.

"There's the Mistfall, I know!" Fang purred as she touched muzzled with him.

"I love you, Fang!" Mistfall meowed.

"I love you too, Mistfall." the black she-cat happily meowed back.